Chicken Potpie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
My son asked me the other day if I could make a chicken potpie. I'm not a big fan of potpies but since he asked and because I have a recipe for them in my new cook book, "Primal Cuts, Cooking with America's Best Butchers", I thought I would give it a shot. I promise this will be the last time I mention this book. I'm beginning to sound like a cook book groupie.

It was perfect timing for potpies because I had some leftover chicken from last night's cook and a container of left over beef stew in the fridge. Potpies are a great way to use up leftovers.

The recipe is pretty straight forward and once you have your meat and vegi's cooked and cubed (that's why leftovers work so great), making the sauce and rolling out the pastry doe is all you need to do.

The sauce was nothing more than a butter and flour rue mixed with a couple of cups of cooked down chicken stock and a cup of heavy cream. That's cooked until it thickens and then it's poured over the vegi/meat mix in the 6 oz. soufflé bowls I used.

The pastry doe was Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets cut into circles and crimped over the top of the bowls. Each pastry top was brushed with some egg and then the bowls were put on a jelly roll pan and placed in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. The temperature was then cut down to 375 degrees for another 20 minutes. After resting out of the oven for about 10 minutes, they were ready to eat.

The two bowls on the far right were filled with leftover beef stew. I added some peal onions, mushroom, carrots and celery to the stew to fill in between the chunks of beef. The stew was used for a couple of meals already and it was mostly beef left in the container. Three of the other potpies were chicken and one was filled only with the vegi mix for my vegetarian daughter. The pies were delicious.

Close up of beef potpie.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seriously give us all a day or two to catch up. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Those really look great and I do love pot pies. I have the book on my Amazon Wish List, I hope my bride sees it for Valentines Day ... I hate it when she send me roses :LOL:

Lew, get a job, you have too much time on your hands! :LOL: You can mention that book anytime you like if you keep posting pictures like that!

Well just for the record store bought Stouffers is purty hard to beat in case anybody dont have any left over stoup. The Little Bride and I mostly live on such pre made meals. Stick em in the microwave and find a 12 year old kid who knows how work the timer vs power gizmo then whamo they be ready to be covered in butter and ate afore long. Now I like Marie Callendars too. It aint very labor intensive.

Back
Top Bottom