Chick 'n' Chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Puff said:
Did you try the fatty?

Yep, Jimmy Dean regular rolled in Wolfe Rub stuffed with provolone cheese. It is surprising how good they are but I over cooked it and most of the cheese leaked out. I also did four armadillo eggs that I cooked the cheese out of also. I did all of them on the kettle on indirect and probably was too hot. When I first peaked and stuck the Thermapen in 'em at one hour and fifteen minutes they were at 180*. Need to work on this some more.

Griff

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
Puff,
I've seen pics of you guys putting a therm through a potato. Any purpose to that? Are you eating it?

That is so you can tell the temp of the pit.

Chris

Puff,
I've seen pics of you guys putting a therm through a potato. Any purpose to that? Are you eating it?
It's to hold the therm up off the grate but still close to grate level for an accurate reading. Some people use potatoes, some use small blocks of wood.

The Joker said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":220lqhty]Puff,
It's to hold the therm up off the grate but still close to grate level for an accurate reading. Some people use potatoes, some use small blocks of wood.[/quote:220lqhty]

Got it. I noticed it in chris's post as well. You have a therm mounted on the smoker right?? Is there that much flucuation in temp??

[quote="The Joker":3tx5gsaj][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":3tx5gsaj]Puff,
It's to hold the therm up off the grate but still close to grate level for an accurate reading. Some people use potatoes, some use small blocks of wood.[/quote:3tx5gsaj]

Got it. I noticed it in chris's post as well. You have a therm mounted on the smoker right?? Is there that much flucuation in temp??[/quote:3tx5gsaj]
Depending on the type of smoker you're using, a WSM for instance, a dome therm will read 15 or 20º hotter than at the grate initially but it tends to settle out after a while as long as there's no peeking. Alot of people, myself included, like to see the temp where the meat is.

The Joker said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":2p488s9f][quote="The Joker":2p488s9f][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":2p488s9f]Puff,
It's to hold the therm up off the grate but still close to grate level for an accurate reading. Some people use potatoes, some use small blocks of wood.[/quote:2p488s9f]

Got it. I noticed it in chris's post as well. You have a therm mounted on the smoker right?? Is there that much flucuation in temp??[/quote:2p488s9f]
Depending on the type of smoker you're using, a WSM for instance, a dome therm will read 15 or 20º hotter than at the grate initially but it tends to settle out after a while as long as there's no peeking. Alot of people, myself included, like to see the temp where the meat is.[/quote:2p488s9f]

Got it....thanks for the info.

[quote="The Joker":ytsjyoq4][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":ytsjyoq4][quote="The Joker":ytsjyoq4][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":ytsjyoq4]Puff,
It's to hold the therm up off the grate but still close to grate level for an accurate reading. Some people use potatoes, some use small blocks of wood.[/quote:ytsjyoq4]

Got it. I noticed it in chris's post as well. You have a therm mounted on the smoker right?? Is there that much flucuation in temp??[/quote:ytsjyoq4]
Depending on the type of smoker you're using, a WSM for instance, a dome therm will read 15 or 20º hotter than at the grate initially but it tends to settle out after a while as long as there's no peeking. Alot of people, myself included, like to see the temp where the meat is.[/quote:ytsjyoq4]

Got it....thanks for the info.[/quote:ytsjyoq4]
An alligator clips works real well to hold the therm at the grate.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3n5sygmh]Nice job Puff! Have you ever tried making your own fatties? (Don't even go there folks!)
I have made my own with venison and pork useing Leggs breakfast sausage season.[/quote:3n5sygmh] Nope, never tried it. Maybe one day.

Chuckwagoncook said:
Puff said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
I just can't believe the difference, smoking vs. oven :eek:

I'm hooked :grin:

Could it be the Wolfe Rub? 8-[
:-k You know you just might have something there :grin:

Nahhh!! Cant be the Rub, its gotta be the cook!! THats what they say about Pits right?

Someday I will have to try me some of the Wolfe rub!!

That's what I said and I finally got some. After I used it I realized the last 30 years of my life was just a waste :-( :-( #-o 8-[

Chuckwagoncook said:
Puff said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3s4x2qio]
Puff said:
I just can't believe the difference, smoking vs. oven :eek:

I'm hooked :grin:

Could it be the Wolfe Rub? 8-[
:-k You know you just might have something there :grin:

Nahhh!! Cant be the Rub, its gotta be the cook!! THats what they say about Pits right?

Someday I will have to try me some of the Wolfe rub!!

That's what I said and I finally got some. After I used it I realized the last 30 years of my life was just a waste :-( :-( #-o 8-[[/quote:3s4x2qio]
It must be that hypnotic I must have it thing he puts in there :!:

Back
Top Bottom