Chewy Chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Smoked another chuck roast yesterday. Foiled at 160* and pulled from pit at 200*. Tasted a small piece and found it tough. Poured the juice from the foil into a pot and braised it till tender. Then it was good. Can't seem to cook them tender on the pit.

might try taking it up just a little higher (205). I have had great luck with the larger ones (over 5lbs) but never with any under that weight. Sams gets whole chuck rolls in from time to time and puts them on sale. Its always the first thing to go in my house.

Rag look for one with plenty of marbling thats not cut too thin get one at least 2 in. thick

Rag said:
Smoked another chuck roast yesterday. Foiled at 160* and pulled from pit at 200*. Tasted a small piece and found it tough. Poured the juice from the foil into a pot and braised it till tender. Then it was good. Can't seem to cook them tender on the pit.

You cannot go by temperature alone for chuck roasts, you have to use the twist test. When the internal temperature hits 195* open the foil and insert a fork and twist it, repeat every 5* until you are able to easily twist the fork, that's when it's done. Then let the chuck rest wrapped in the foil for a minimum of 1 hour, then open the foil drain the juices and shred, then redistribute the juices onto the shredded beef.

Larry Wolfe said:
Rag said:

You cannot go by temperature alone for chuck roasts, you have to use the twist test. When the internal temperature hits 195* open the foil and insert a fork and twist it, repeat every 5* until you are able to easily twist the fork, that's when it's done. Then let the chuck rest wrapped in the foil for a minimum of 1 hour, then open the foil drain the juices and shred, then redistribute the juices onto the shredded beef.

I like that. Will try it.

Glad you were able to salvage the chuck. Great-tasting meat, however you do it. The half-dozen or so I've smoked have generally gone to the 200-205 range before they were done. Larry's advice works for me. :)

--John 8)

Back
Top Bottom