Cappy's BBQ'd Chucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
my latest invention. ;)

one with Finney rub (number 1), one with WR Original.

Got a later start than I wanted, hope these don't take long.

and rubbed

ScottyDaQ said:
After they got some smoke and are foiled, ya can always hurry em up in the oven.

Amen brother, just don't tell anyone! Chucks can be very very stubborn, worse than a woman.

They are in the cooler...cooked em hot at bout 285 cause I want to eat tonight..foiled at 165 on the WR, 158 on the Finney...think the fennel seed
slows down the cooking process. ;)

I was doing just about exactly the same thing today, Cap'n. If it's okay with you, I'll just refer folks to your pictures. ;)

I got a decent deal on a couple of small boneless chucks -- 2.2 lbs each -- and did 'em up with Worcestershire and WRB. They went into the smoker about 9:30 am. Temp stayed near perfect all the way through from the time I put 'em in. To my surprise, I was foiling them a little before 2 pm (at 169º and 160º, thinner and thicker respectively), and when I went out to check them a few minutes before 3 pm, they were already over 200º -- probe in the thicker one said 213º!! They rested wrapped in a cooler until 6 pm, when we ate.

These were my first chucks, and while I knew they were small, I figured they'd cook longer than 5 1/2 hrs! They turned out good. We'll get 3 more meals out of this quick cook. :D

--John 8)

I just did one on Sunday, to use in chili... ya gotta love those stubborn little B@#$^#'s... a bit over 5 hours , at 275 ish, for a litle over 3 pounder

Umm, Cappy?? Where's the pic's???? Carolina won last night, so I suppose you may have celebrated too much.

well I'm at work, and the pics are at home, I'll get em up by lunchtime.
Wow, I was surprised how much I liked these!

I noticed a little plateau around 160, is there that much fat in those
things, or was it just a coincidence?

Shredded pretty easy, although the thicker one still had some chunks
that were certainly edible and good, just not quite as tender as the
shreds.

I preferred the Wolfe Rub. The aroma when pulling was incredible.
Gave some to my neighbor, and he loved it too. After foiling I let the temps ride up to 300 in the bullet, doesn't appear to hurt anything,
and probably sped up the cooking for a while. After about an
hour and a half in the cooler, they were still too hot to handle,
but man were they good.

Thanks for the help!

I'm inspired, fellas, thanks. I just put barley on the shopping list. :)

--John 8)
(Except when I told Jody, she said "I like it in sandwiches." I may have to plan to do a soup chuck.)

Back
Top Bottom