Cancer Sucks! BBQ class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monty3777

Senior Cook
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the comp. section, but I thought it could be of interest to all BBQ cookers.

I have been pestering Scottie from Cancer Sucks! to consider holding a competition class for some time. My thought is that holding a class could really help raise funds for the Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation.

What do you all think? Scottie has indicated that he will enlist a former winner of the TOY to help him with the class - so a Jack Daniel's World Champion, and a winner of the TOY would be the instructors.

Looks like the class will be in the Chicagoland area.

$500 would get you two things:

1. A FULL BLOWN competition class with nothing held back taught by TWO champion cooks
2. You would be making a $500 donation to the Foundation - though since you are receiving a service I doubt it would be tax-deductible, but who cares! (http://www.cancersuckschicago.com/)
3. Dinner may be provided by a local BBQ place and the Lions club can help with discounts on hotels

I think Scottie would like some feedback before he commits himself to taking this project on. Does the price seem right? Would the weekend of Feb 19-20 (or perhaps Feb 20-21) work?

Most importantly, will you come?

Well sure the rich yups in the audience jump on that deal like a dawg on a bone. Now unfortunatly I can't make it. Prez Osama has not got around to stimulating me yet. Sorry. Hope yall have a great turn out. Very worthy cause no doubt. My little bride is now an 11 year "Survivor" and that big C was some nasty old bizness. Praying it do not come to call again. Make a movie of the class and sell me a movie for twenty bucks. I could handle something like unto that maybe. Depending on how the Warden looks upon the transaction. She will prob think we are smarter than the folks in the movie:) At any rate you can pry a 20 out of her any old day for anything to do with battling Cancer.

bigwheel

Good cause, lost a 38 year old wife to the Big C 18 years ago. $500 is probably out of my league as a noob and getting to Chicago in February may be a trick. I've got a lot to learn on my own before spending that kind of money. I do like the video idea, I watch anything BBQ I can get my eyes on.

Actually think peddling the movie to a large group of po folks could raise mo dinero than trying to lure a few fat cats to Chicagoland. I will do the math on it and repoat back.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Actually think peddling the movie to a large group of po folks could raise mo dinero than trying to lure a few fat cats to Chicagoland. I will do the math on it and repoat back.

bigwheel

You know, until I received your feedback from my post I never really felt like a fat cat, or yuppie for that matter. I am a parish pastor living in a small rural town in Iowa (about 300 people). I'm looking out my window at my neighbors who live in trailers and just beyond that are fields of corn and beans. I always kinda thought I was living a modest life - but I guess I'm wrong. However, because I live well beneath my means I am able to set aside some money to help fund cancer research, and a place for families to stay when their loved ones are being treated for cancer. Maybe Im' just a rich yuppie (by Texas standards, maybe) but to me I think of that as part of my tithe. You have given me a lot to think about!

I guess I shouldn't have jumped on the "down with high priced events" bandwagon so quickly.
Monty, I spoke with Scotty last year on another forum and he sent me some of his bumper stickers. I thought my wife would get a kick out of them. (She's battled the deadly C 3 times and won!) I tagged a few of the boys cookers up here with the stickers too. Alot of us are hurting badly due to the economy and maybe something like this just struck the wrong people at the wrong time.
It's a great cause and I hope it's successful!
If I had the extra funds I'd be in for sure!
Good luck!!!

Well I surely give out an A for effort Pastor. Maybe also a Lady Bug Stamp. Just trying to help get them loaves and fishes multiplied a bit mo effectively. Now I am an old ex beer guzzling Lutheran (which I am not an ex beer guzzler just ex Lutheran). The church wasn't even located in a town but the closest one was a bunch smaller than where you live. Now most of the congregation was Czecks, Germans and assorted other bohunks. We was one of the few families which had a normal sounding name. At any rate you know how good them bohunks can cook bbq? Well they can. They had/have a big bbq cook each year where the men stayed up all night and drank beer while doing all the cooking and sold it to every living soul in a hundred mile radius the next afternoon (maybe missed a few but not many). Ya know they funded the entire church for a year on that deal? No fried chicken dinners or Bingo needed. Why dont you try that and dedicate all the money to the cancer ministry. That should work. They cooked butts and picnics direct over mesquite coals. Yum yum. Now I dont think they allow mesquite in Iowa but surely yall got some kinda trees up there. Let me know if you need any mo good advice. Thanks.

bigwheel

monty3777 said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

You know, until I received your feedback from my post I never really felt like a fat cat, or yuppie for that matter. I am a parish pastor living in a small rural town in Iowa (about 300 people). I'm looking out my window at my neighbors who live in trailers and just beyond that are fields of corn and beans. I always kinda thought I was living a modest life - but I guess I'm wrong. However, because I live well beneath my means I am able to set aside some money to help fund cancer research, and a place for families to stay when their loved ones are being treated for cancer. Maybe Im' just a rich yuppie (by Texas standards, maybe) but to me I think of that as part of my tithe. You have given me a lot to think about!

I mwish I had the 500 bucks. But right now we are trying to pay off some of the bills that Niki has run up with the fight of Malignant ovarian cancer , even with insurance kicking in the total is almost at 1 million dollars. Her chemo sessions alone run 6, 000.00 a visit . I would thank all who are working towards this event and class , it means more than most know.

WalterSC said:
I mwish I had the 500 bucks. But right now we are trying to pay off some of the bills that Niki has run up with the fight of Malignant ovarian cancer , even with insurance kicking in the total is almost at 1 million dollars. Her chemo sessions alone run 6, 000.00 a visit . I would thank all who are working towards this event and class , it means more than most know.

And you're stuck holding the bill...sorry, dude. How is your wife?

[quote="monty3777
And you're stuck holding the bill...sorry, dude. How is your wife?[/quote]

Well her cancer number has gone down a good bit , but her immune system is down , and does not have much energy . Niki has been doing chemo for a year now some days are good , some are bad. She and I just take one day to the next. After having the chemo she is feeling good and up and running , the next 2 days she sleeps. Good thing she has never gotten sick one time. I am at home most of the time in case she needs me , I am working part time for my family business and the paycheck helps. Niki just got approved for full disability so thats another plus. One of the side effects for her has been diabities she now takes insulin daily .

Chicago in February could be a little dicey with the weather. Perhaps in late March would be better. I won't go but good luck with that.

Yea. What Big Wheel said. Sure would increase your profits with a video. Send one up my way.
My wifes's a 8 yr. survivor and we would love to contribute.
Cramden

Back
Top Bottom