Canadian brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
Canadian brisket:
2004-09-17b%20002.jpg
:LOL:

wish I had a chance to add that to that thread that got closed

I'm Canadian BTW

Backstory: I called a small processor in the country near my home and asked for a packer ..... long dead silence .. ok, I want the point, flat, fat cap and it should be in the 12-14 lb range and about 18" long. No problem they said. I went to pick it up and it was from a small animal but they kept the plate on to get the weight ... it was 32" long!!!

Found better brisket sources since ... but lotsa meat cutters up here have no fricken clue what we want for smokin brisket.

Not trying to defend that other guy though. 'Shoehorn between grates' is easy enough to understand, even for a simple guy like me. :)

LOL looks like a prom date in America, except with no lipstick.

It's easy enough to understand that that brisket there, would not shrink to fit the grate by the end of it. Nor could you tuck the ends around and have the middle part up top. Mine was heavier than yours. Nobody in their right mind would smoke a piece of meat like that.

I am still investigating. I want to find one of those small American ones.

BeeRich said:
Nobody in their right mind would smoke a piece of meat like that.

Shawn did indeed 'actually' cook that brisket. He may have the link to the TVWBB where he cooked it and his post is what I was looking for to show you what I was talking about. I'm banned from TVWBB so I can't search there anymore...... :mrgreen:

Well I am banned from so many places it make your hair stand on end. That hunk o meat looks just like Sponge Bob's pet snail named Gary which meows like a kitten. That show kills me. Did you know each character represents one of The Seven Deadly Sins as depicted in the Bible? I think it prob a beaver which been run through a band saw eh?

bigwheel

although I'm not in my right mind I actually cut this one in half, cut the tail off smoked it later and made chili IIRC :)

intention was to show the American brothers what some of us up here in the land of 'WTF is a brisket?' have to put up with sometimes :)

oh yeah, Jim Minion thought it was grossly overtrimmed and from a huge animal ... dunno which description is right, I'll put my money on Jim's explanation

anyway, I have shoehorned long briskets between the upper grate handles on a 18" WSM and no kiddin I've seen em shrink up to perhaps 7" in length, it happens fairly early and that knot or bulge of brisket in the middle gets flattened

even if somehow it was horribly unevenly cooked from being scrunched if you foil at 160ºF it's a huge equalizer

BeeRich: try meat wholesalers in your area, it took some calls but I found a couple in my area that would do at worst cash sale for min $50 order. I can now get real nice packers and monster flats for montreal Smoked meat around $2.50/lb. If that don't work try abbatoirs, small producers who are 'live animal in the back, packaged meat out the front' if there are any still in your area. Call em ask if they have anyone who know what a packer is and can cut ya some. I found an awesome one up the road from me, they made me fantastic packers ... but they are 90 minute drive and over $4/lb

I think most of the brisket in Canada is eaten by the Chinese.

When I turn on the WSM, I like to pack the sucker and I usually purchase accordingly.

The problem with being downtown Toronto is that there are not a lot of live animal joints. I don't know if I know one, actually. My Boston Butt guy gets his right from the farmer. But thanks for the lead, as I will chase that up. It's strange that it takes a lot of effort to try to get right cuts of meat. I've been to no less than 6 butchers in my area and the city market.

Cheers

bigwheel said:
Well I am banned from so many places it make your hair stand on end. That hunk o meat looks just like Sponge Bob's pet snail named Gary which meows like a kitten. That show kills me. Did you know each character represents one of The Seven Deadly Sins as depicted in the Bible? I think it prob a beaver which been run through a band saw eh?

bigwheel

Thats why we hang with you.. You cant get that kind of info anywhere else !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom