Can Anyone Recommend A Good Quality Affordable Meat Slicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
I was in Kansas City last summer and ate at Gates BBQ and I noticed that they slicked their brisket paper thin, kind of like Arby's. I much preferred the taste and texture of the brisket that way compared to the pencil thick slices judges require in KCBS competitions.

Does anyone own a meat slicer that they would enthsisastically recommend? Thanks!

Woody did you say you have one?

Kloset

I got lucky and bought a 60 dollar refurbed Waring Pro....I only use it about 10 times a year, but it is REALLY handy when you need it.

I sliced last weeks pastrami with it, it was great. They normally cost around 100 bucks I think, and I have to reccomend it for home use.
Never had a problem with it.

Bob T said:
I have the Waring pro also, no complaints as of yet, other than it's a P.I.T.A to clean meat slicers. Just used it Thursday to slice up a beef tip roast.

Agreed on the cleaning....don't know if it's just my model or every model.
Still worth it for paper thin slices.

I don't think it's going to cut a brisket very good. I think you will need the sawing action that a knife gives or a meat slicer as it spins, but we will find out. Let us know Susan.

I might suggest keeping an eye in the local want ads under Rest. equip.

I picked up a commercial grinder for next to nothing from a deli that was going out of buis. and I kick myself for not grabbing the slicer.

Susan Z said:
Can't I draw the mandoline across the brisket (like I'm giving it a shave with the world's largest razor) rather than vice versa?

Susan, at that point wouldn't you be better off using a knife dear?

I just got a Chef's Choice 630 from Amazon last week. I finally picked it due to the reviews about easy clean up. So far I've only used it to slice two butts that I turned into buckboard bacon. But the reviews were right, clean up was truely a snap. It sliced great too but I expected that.

Griff

Jeff

I know I stuggled with the same problem. Finally, rationalized the price by using gift certificae left over from Christmas, a $25 houseware promo, and free shipping. Anyway, so far I am satisfied with it. I have yet to try it more delicate than buckboard bacon which after a 14 day salt cure is pretty firm.

Griff

Griff,

Thanks for the update on the slicer. How do you like Alaska? Were you born and raised there or relocate there for work. I hear Anchorage is beautiful.
We are considering taking an Alaskan cruise the summer of 2006.

Keep me posted on the slicer as you cut some brisket. What's your Q season up there? Sorry for all the questions. Just don't run into to many Alaskans on BBQ boards. What are your current outdoor temps? Can't be much worse than Cleveland!

Kloset

Kloset

My wife and I moved to Alaska 35 years ago. The first three years we lived out in the Aleutians and here in Anchorage since. Anchorage is a beautiful town tucked between mountains and the ocean. Well mostly beautiful, right now we are in the throes of an early spring break up. Six months of snow and ice is turning into slush, standing water and mud. Currently it is about 36 degrees.

I just got into smoking a year ago but have cooked rib roasts in a Weber kettle at 20 below. Fortunately it is seldom windy here when it is cold so you just need more charcoal.

Griff

Griff,

I was right! You aren't any colder right now than Cleveland! I'm glad to make your acquaintance. Any regional Q variations in Alaska? What's the price of pork butts and beef brisket up there?

Post some pictures when you get the time. I'd love to see them!

Welcome aboard and we all hope to talk with you frequently!

Kloset

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom