Calling All Canadians (Southern Ontarians actually)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
Good Day. How's it goin, eh?

So, like, I need wood. I've run out of the chunk wood that came with the Brinkmann I sold, not that I knew what it was. So I need some new seasoned hardwood for the smoker, and I don't know where to get some more.

Now, my Napoleon store has bags of chips, but that ain't the same. Can I foil up some chips and shove 'er in there with the coals, and expect the same turnout as a fist of wood?

I live downtown Toronto, and I'm almost willing to drive out to pick up some bags of wood that I chop up myself. Apple and Cherry can be found, but Pecan, Mesquite, Hickory I'm sure don't grow around here. What about Prune? Pecan is a Prunus family, isn't it? I'm sure Niagara might have some, but that's a bit of a drive to pick up wood.

Any ideas of sources near Toronto? I don't want to take off too far too often, eh.

G'Day

I live in N. Texas which is purty close to Canada. Only thing twixt us and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence or two. Charcoal base and a handful of chips or chunks occasionally. That should work.

bigwheel

you can put half the ring of unlit in, then sprinkle some chips through, then fill the ring and sprinkle some more chips through .... this works pretty well to give you a nice thin blue smoke through the cook

foil packs work ok, make them round rather than thin and flat so as not to cover too much of the fire

Barbecues Galore has stores in Oakville and Bramford if you get out that way .... the one here has chips, pellets and some chunks

pellets is the only way I've gotten orange wood and pecan (BBQers Delight), and Smoke Stick are jumbo pellets, I've tried pecan in that as well, take a large slot screwdriver and bust off an inch or so of the large pellet

Chunks they carry: beech, apple, maple, oak, hickory, mesquite, olive and cherry

I'd call them before making a special trip, stuff ain't always in stock

you can also try Smokinlicious Canada

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Aaron: I find mixtures and blends something I'd rather make up myself. Also, turning wood into "dust" then shipping to Toronto isn't really local. We have huge amounts of Apple and Prunus in Ontario.

Shawn: I'll have a look online. Thanks for the lead. I'm sure you're dealing with Air Show noise today as well. Update: They have Mesquite and Olive (never heard of that), but low on inventories.

I have since sourced some from a hardware store that carries bagged Weber wood, so I should drive out today.

Cheers. Problem solved.

Hey BeeRich, if your still stuck, Ontario Gas Barbeque on Langstaff Road just off the 400 Hwy. can most likely help you out. Also check out BBQTalk.ca

Cheers
Cramden

You could always try BBQ's Galore in Oakville, they carry a fair amount of wood!
Your best bet is Ontario BBQ on Langstaff, make a day of it and stop in at Bass Pro while your out there. Canadian Tire also carries small assortment wood chips.

Cheers

Oh I have a local chip supply, but I've heard it's the chunks I want. I also found a local chunk supply at a hardware store that sells Webers, and they have inventory, but today being part of a long weekend at the Beach, no parking whatsoever. Couldn't find anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom