Butts: What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am cooking two butts for a family get together in South Carolina. We are leaving here tommorow at 4:30 p.m and will be there at 6:00 p.m. Gonna start cookin tonight. Should i leave the butts in a cooler whole, or should I go ahead and pull them? And what temp should I pull them off the smoker? I normally do 195-200, but they will be holding for a couple of hours. Thanks in advance Gents.

Captain Morgan said:
Pull at 195, leave whole, wrap in foil, place in cooler, pull when you get there.
They'll still be hot.
Almost what Cappy said...wrap in Saran Wrap, place in preheated cooler

While on the topic of butts ... At what temperature should I smoke the butt? Is there a point to foil or not foil? Do I have to raise the pit temperature towards the end to get the internal up to that 190 - 200° range? Thanks for letting me "piggyback" on your question SR :)

bbquzz said:
While on the topic of butts ... At what temperature should I smoke the butt? Is there a point to foil or not foil? Do I have to raise the pit temperature towards the end to get the internal up to that 190 - 200° range? Thanks for letting me "piggyback" on your question SR :)

Just smoke at what ever temp you normally do, My UDS and WSM usually cruise at 250 so thats what I smoke at.

I usually foil my butts at 160 give or a take a few. That gives it enough time to get a good bark in my opinion. But I aint no expert

I think you will find that a butt is the easiest thing to smoke.

Back
Top Bottom