Butts are on.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I just put the butts on at 1:25 AM. I injected one through the cryopac with apple cider with homemade rub mixed in and let sit in the cooler until ready to rub down about 7 hours. It did squirt through the hole under pressure a few times. I rubbed both with mustard and sprinkled with texasbbqrub. Here are the pictures so far.

We must be in the same mind set, Craig...got a pair O' butts in the cooker right now...starting to rain now...had them on since 9pm last night so should be all doneziees by noon or 1pm!

Good luck! :D

Temperature is holding well. At about 6:30 the temperature was at 210, I opened a vent about the width of a nickel. Went back to sleep at 9 AM the temperature was at 259. It is back to 225 or so now.

I also made Carolina BBQ slaw (Lexingtion BBQ Red Slaw) from Peace, Love, and BBQ page 109 yesterday evening. I wish I made it three days ago because it would have given the vinegar a little more time to pickle the cabbage. I haven't made Carolina BBQ slaw (Lexingtion BBQ Red Slaw) before even though I live here. My wife said it needs a little more sugar when tested this morning. I added more sugar and will test later today.

Here are the pictures of breakfast with homemade bacon made a few weeks ago, the Carolina BBQ slaw (Lexingtion BBQ Red Slaw), and the temperature of the butts.

Greg Rempe said:
We must be in the same mind set, Craig...got a pair O' butts in the cooker right now...starting to rain now...had them on since 9pm last night so should be all doneziees by noon or 1pm!

Does that mean your attic is full of smoke ?

Bruce,

You are right about the eggs. Lately I haven't wanted many eggs. I don't know why so I just give myself a VERY small portion.

I just wrapped the butts in foil...I kept debating to foil or not to foil...I foiled. Here is a picture before foiling.

Greg Rempe said:

No Pics = No Cook = LIAR :LOL: :LOL:

The butts came out great. The Lexington BBQ Red Slaw was excellent. My mother-in-law thought it was better than a local BBQ place in our city.

My sandwich had the pickle and sauce (Alabama Style Sandwich). My wife's had the red slaw. I had the red slaw on the side...and I ate alot of it. If any one decides to make the red slaw give it at least 24 hours to soak/set for great flavor. I believe 48 hours would be much better.

Very messy plate. I used my plate to build other sandwiches before sitting down to eat.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Look's great! How about ya pony up with the slaw recipe. :)

I'll post here and in the recipe section. Yes it is from PL&BBQ.

Lexington Barbecue Red Slaw

The below is the original recipe from Peace, Love and Barbecue page 109.

½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup sugar
½ cup ketchup
½ teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
5 to 6 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce (like Texas Pete or Frank’s Red Hot), optional

Whisk the vinegar, sugar, ketchup, and salt together in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Combine the cabbage and the dressing in a large bowl. Add the pepper and hot sauce, if desired, and taste for spiciness. Add more pepper or hot sauce if you want a little more heat.

I added more sugar (guessing maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons), and I used Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Let this stuff soak for 24 to 48 hours in the refrigerator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom