Butts are done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Did two butts Saturday-Sunday for a quik bite to eat before heading to the game on Sunday. One butt was rubbed with Wolfe Bold, the other with my own. Threw a few chicken thighs on the kettle as well. The boys all wolfed down the Wolfe rubbed butt and I ate mine. They must have loved it, they all had thirds!

WOW, nice butts Nick! Color was incredible! Nice bird parts too! I wish we were neighbors, you and I could rotate and cook everyother weekend!

I've always used the Boston butt (shoulder blade) cut. Is there any noticeable difference in the finished product when you use the picnic cut?

--John 8)

Unity said:
I've always used the Boston butt (shoulder blade) cut. Is there any noticeable difference in the finished product when you use the picnic cut?

--John 8)

I've never noticed a difference. Picnics are easier to find here, the local supermarket seems to always have them on hand and at $0.99 per pound, it's a pretty good deal.

Larry Wolfe said:
WOW, nice butts Nick! Color was incredible! Nice bird parts too! I wish we were neighbors, you and I could rotate and cook everyother weekend!

I think we would be twice the size we are now if that was the case!

Maybe we should all pool our money and buy us a piece of
land in SE NC..kinds of a BBQ Mayberry! I'd be Andy, Larry
would be Gomer, Rempe would be Barney!

Captain Morgan said:
Maybe we should all pool our money and buy us a piece of

I've got mine! You, come on up, the rest can come on down! (Except Finney, he wasn't included in your post) Hey, can I be Goober?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":22lgwoy3]Maybe we should all pool our money and buy us a piece of

I've got mine! You, come on up, the rest can come on down! (Except Finney, he wasn't included in your post) Hey, can I be Goober?[/quote:22lgwoy3]
Larry should be Otis :LOL:
Rev Jr. kind of looks like Ernest T. Bass :shock:

They look very, very, nice; bet they tasted that way as well. Hard to beat chicken thighs fresh off the cooker, I love them.

Unity said:

--John 8)

John,
To the average Joe, there's not alot, if any difference between a butt or a picnic. Some say the picnic's have a hammy taste, I've never noticed that myself. I used to predominately cook picnics, because they were half the price of butts. I think a picnic makes just as good BBQ as a butt does and you can't beat the price!

Two cons with the picnics in my opinion. Removing the skin and your finished yield will be less than a butt of the same size. Not a big deal if you ask me though. The price is the equalizer!

Larry Wolfe said:
Unity said:
To the average Joe, there's not alot, if any difference between a butt or a picnic. Some say the picnic's have a hammy taste, I've never noticed that myself. I used to predominately cook picnics, because they were half the price of butts. I think a picnic makes just as good BBQ as a butt does and you can't beat the price!

Two cons with the picnics in my opinion. Removing the skin and your finished yield will be less than a butt of the same size. Not a big deal if you ask me though. The price is the equalizer!
Thanks, Larry, that's an answer I can work with. I figured that the big shank bone and skin would make for a higher waste-to-yield ratio, but like you say, the price makes up for it. I'll try one to satisfy my curiosity.

--John 8)
(Thanks for your feedback too, Nick.)

Just read the packaging carefully, Its much easier here to find butts that arent enhanced than picnics, could just be the area though

Larry Wolfe said:
Unity said:

--John 8)

John,

This cook, I didn't remove the skin. I cut it all the way back but left it attached. Then I applied rub under the skin and pulled the skin back down over the rub. I cooked it with the skin side down. When I pulled the skin off after it cooked, there was a soft layer of bark under it but it was the moistest butt I've ever done.

Nick,

That is some great looking Q you have there. Getting me hungry and I just finished dinner.

Back
Top Bottom