Butts are black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olflathead

Assistant Cook
been cooking butts on my medowcreek charcoal pr60 with great tasting results. but everytime my meat finishes very dark, most times black no matter if im using high sugar rubs or not. Any suggestions on getting that maghony look.

Wrap in foil after about 4 or 5 hours, the meat will not take any more smoke after that point. In the foil it may even cook alittle faster.

i would think my fire would be clean,maybe not. i use the minion method and adjust firebox dampers as needed to stay around 250+/-.

Well I'm not totally convinced black is bad. Tasted mighty good butt which a person could make a white mark on with a piece of charcoal. Are you using any wood along with the charcoal? Cherry wood will turn it real black for example.

yeah bob i do use yellow mustard as a base,and only use hickory with apple.maybe need to quit watching to much TV:confused:

Actually Hickory turn it dark too. If you want red try mesquite (depending on your locale..mesquite quality is highly geography sensitive.) Not ghoronteeing it improve the flavor any but would venture a guess if a person sub out the Hickory for Oak the color would lighten up. Oak and Apple combo aint bad. Not quite on a par with Oak and Plum..but not shabby. lol.

Thanks for the info bigwheel.Got thanksgiving coming up, think i"ll lay off the mustard and try a little oak in my smoke and see what that does.

Well all kind of theories abound. May help the color some but never managed to burn it. Adds a bright spritely flavor and gives the rub somewhere to stick. Also works great on fried fish. Cuts a lot of the fishy odor and perks up the flavor. Its very mysterious. Would not dare leave home without it.

French's yellow mustard is a flavorful condiment, and did you ever check the nutrition label. No fat, no sodium, no cholesterol, no calories. That stuff is just pure flavor.

Mustard should be used on a hot dog. Never got with the whole "mustard on the meat afor the Q'in thang? :confused:

Well Puffster..I know how you feel..In fact have knowns some who felt the same way at one time..but this is what they found. Try it you will like it. Money back ghorontee. Sure Nick will send you a buck if you dont happen to find it acceptable.

Mustard should be used on a hot dog. Never got with the whole "mustard on the meat afor the Q'in thang? :confused:

sounds like we have a mustard debate going on here.To slather or not to slather.

Back
Top Bottom