Butts and Chucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef

Chuck got mustard slather and Texas Brisket Blend

One Butt got Mustard with Oklahoma Joes Rub

The other butt got mustard slather and a local Smokin Guns Rub
Butts were about 5.5lbs each and 1 Chuck about 3.5lbs.

Magic Mustard Slather

Chuck on top, butts below.

Chuck foiled before being put in the cooler. Transferred butts to the top

Chuck Pulled

Official Taste Tester....guess it lip smackin good!

Butt just before being pulled

Great yield from 2 butts.

Put the meat on about 10:30pm Sat Night. Pulled the Chuck off around noon and foiled in the cooler for about 2 hours.

Pulled the butts off around 3pm and foiled in the cooler for 2 hours.

Used lump and 1/2 chimney kingsford to start
Got up at 7am, temp was at 150* so I filled up the chamber
with Royal Oak briquette.

Lump and Kingsford always burn up too quick.
Royal Oak briquettes (we don't have lump here) always burns longer, plus the royal oak is $1.50 cheaper than kingsford.

Anyway, all in all had plenty left over for the vac sealer!

Well, that looks pretty dang good to me! =P~ =P~ :!: What kind of dog is the taste tester?

Looks great....Now those are some good eats....
=D> =D> =D> Xplain to me please about the chuck thing...The Mrs. wants to do one and that's one of the few things we haven't smoked..What internal temp do you take it to, aprox. cook time, and smoker temp.

The Joker said:
Well, that looks pretty dang good to me! =P~ =P~ :!: What kind of dog is the taste tester?

Cockapoo....he's a pretty good dog. Follows me from the time I start the smoke til the end. Never leaves my side, guess thats why I call myself man's best friend.

wittdog said:
Looks great....Now those are some good eats....
=D> =D> =D> Xplain to me please about the chuck thing...The Mrs. wants to do one and that's one of the few things we haven't smoked..What internal temp do you take it to, aprox. cook time, and smoker temp.

This was my first chuck. I was inspired by all the posts.
Anyway, I got a small 3.5lb from the butcher. Prepped it and threw it on with Hickory and Pecan and a little cherry (for the pork). Took it to 165* and then foiled it to about 190* - 195* Pulled it then threw it in the cooler for about 2 hours. I was impressed with it. I told my wife I was doing a chuck and she said all the "shredded" beef she's had was dry. She tried this and loved it. I was impressed as well. I might do some bigger ones in the future.

from what I've read on the posts it says chucks take about 3 hours per lb to smoke. Of course Bryan S. would be the expert on these. Anyway, it turned out great.

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
from what I've read on the posts it says chucks take about 3 hours per lb to smoke. Of course Bryan S. would be the expert on these. Anyway, it turned out great.
:eek: guess i should have gone with the 3 lb one instead of the 5 lb one. Oh well, go big or go home, right? guess we'll be using the wsm for that one!

Food looked real good :!:
I agree on the Royal oak, bought a bag last week, it does last longer and is cheaper than Kingsford.

Puff said:
Food looked real good :!:
I agree on the Royal oak, bought a bag last week, it does last longer and is cheaper than Kingsford.

I couldn't believe how well and long it burns. I've only found it at Lowe's, I'll be stocking up at the end of the season

Back
Top Bottom