Butts & Bark & Humidity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well think the chickens have come home to roost on this low and slow stuff. Boost your temps up to about 275..suspect you have turned some perfectly good hawg meat into pork jerky here. That whut happen to slow cooked pork. Now if you had a hawg which was skerred or apprehensive afore going to hawg heaven..that supposedly cause it to taste funky. Now cooking at 225 will turn it into Tasso. As Big Jim down in Floriddidy say...You is trying to warm it to death. Jack up the heat and kindly repoat back.

bigwheel

Diva Q said:
How much do you all think humidity plays on bark formation??

Today I did an 8 lb butt the same way I have done it for the last year. IT has always yielded good results (no Fab either) tender moist and good bark. I take my rub slather the butt with mustard and apply the rub. I inject with an apple juice based injection as well. Then I cook till the bone wiggles out easily. At about a steady 225 cooked on the Traeger.

Today my butt sucked big time. NO it is so bad I am tempted to throw the entire thing in the garbage. I won't even post pictures because it is awful.

The inside has no flavour today. Nothing nada zip zilch. IT has a greyish hue. IT is not tender either. NOt even close to being tender. My butt was very fresh too so there is no concern there. I always buy my butts from the same Butcher. Today it is not appetizing at all. Then there is the bark which is smushy. Not nice. Not even remotely palatable.

I am very disappointed in this butt.

So I wonder what role do you think humidity plays on bark formation?? ON the entire BBQ and cooking process. It has been very humid here for days. We need rain in the worst way. So lets discuss what we all think about this topic. Ideas opinions ?? expertise and wisdom would be appreciated here.

Back
Top Bottom