Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shootthebunnies

Assistant Cook
Cooking up 2 butts about 6 61/2 lbs each. One with a sweeter rub, one more savory. For pulled pork.
After I have them rubbed and injected do I put them in covered containers in the fridge overnight or just on a baking sheet?

Anyone know how hot a ECB that has the electric element (1500watt) runs? Trying to establish a start time for these bad boys as we are planning on eating around 6 and I would like to have them off about 5 rest for 30 and then pull.

Thanks
Willis

Too late to help on the fridge situation. I've never injected a butt so I couldn't tell you but I usually rub it just before I put it on the smoker. Now on cooking times, I'd throw it on now. When it's finished you can leave them wrapped in a cooler for hours without any problems. If you wait until later and you have a stubborn butt, you might not eat until 10 tonight!

Nick Prochilo said:
Too late to help on the fridge situation. I'd throw it on now. When it's finished you can leave them wrapped in a cooler for hours without any problems. If you wait until later and you have a stubborn butt, you might not eat until 10 tonight!

I put them on at 5am. I am using the ECB that has the electric conversion for these, I am smoking with hickory and apple. According to this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Smoker-E ... l+Products

The most I am going to get out of it is 220, so I may have put them on too late. Temp gauge doesn't work on this smoker so we will see. Hoping to have them done by 5-5:30 this evening and have them rested and pulled by 6.

I put them in a deep pan and covered with foil overnight in the fridge.

Injected with the following: Enough for both butts.
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

I will get some pictures up sometime today, maybe when the sun comes up. ;)

I agree with Nick, you are cutting it close with only 12 hours. If you get them up to 160° or so, you could wrap them in foil, put them back on and hopefully that will speed them up so you can meet your dinner deadline. Good luck and don't forget those pictures.

bbquzz said:
I agree with Nick, you are cutting it close with only 12 hours. If you get them up to 160° or so, you could wrap them in foil, put them back on and hopefully that will speed them up so you can meet your dinner deadline. Good luck and don't forget those pictures.

If I foil them at 160 and put them back on is that about the same as putting them in the oven? I have no problem finishing them in the oven at a higher temp if need be. Last 2 hours maybe?

shootthebunnies said:
bbquzz said:

If I foil them at 160 and put them back on is that about the same as putting them in the oven? I have no problem finishing them in the oven at a higher temp if need be. Last 2 hours maybe?
You can, but don't tell us that you did it! :twisted:

Both butts turned out great. To me they were a little dark for the bark, finish temp was 202[*] but judged by feel as suggested.

The first one I used the same rub as I had previously done with a ham. It was good.

The second I used a rub with little sugar, it was so much better!

Both pulled really nice.

Cooked them with a really low heat, so what can I do different so they don't blacken as much?

Thanks for all you help.
Willis

That's bark for you. Larry invented a way that I've used with pretty good success. Don't put rub on before the cook, add it to the pulled product.

Sent using smoke signals because I'm a cheap bastard!

Well I got kin who live near Missourii so somebody have to Show Me this rubbing afterwards deal. Sure do not work on brisket beacause I was dumb enough to let a fella talk me into trying it one time. Now did you ever speak up over on the Cheery Wood scenario? Still lacking info on the overly black deal. Have to rule out the alleged perps one at a time. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom