Butt Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I decided to make the Alton Brown Mac & Cheese from the sides section. Boy that was good. I made a Memphis sauce for the pork AAAAAAAAND WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

when I make the Alton recipe, I cut back on the amount on onions.
That said, it's dang good. I more often use a mac n cheese recipe that Finney posted from one of those old North Carolina Church cookbooks ( I love those). If he didn't post it, I will...great mac and cheese and much easier than Altons.

Hornet, you are going to explode if you keep eating like that.

Here she blows...

Macaroni and Cheese (First Baptist Church Cookbook)

1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
2 c. cooked macaroni (1 c. uncooked, use 1/2-tsp. salt in water)
2 eggs, beaten separately
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Black pepper

Butter baking dish and place alternately a layer of macaroni and cheese
with a small piece of butter occasionally. Pour liquid (milk, eggs,
etc.) over macaroni in dish and cook slowly.

350 degrees - approx. 45 - 55 minutes

Now I add some Tabasco or cayenne. I've found this recipe to
be very easy to make, but very good. I always make this recipe
as a side dish.

If I'm making mac and cheese for the main course (wit sausage and such) I use a fancier recipe. Like Altons. With less onion.

Lookin' good G.H.ster!
I tried the A.B. M.A.C. and I agree with Cap.

Man with all youv'e been cookin', big baby must be burned straight through the barrel :shock: ;)

Hey Cap'n..now do this form a cheesy brown leathery crust over the top by any chance? Best Mac n Cheese I ever had before or since come out of the high sckrewl cafeteria up in Wiskeyta Falls TX back when the Red Sea was still only pink. It had that cheesy leather on top. I been searching for this recipe for many decades if it knows how do that trick. Kindly let me know.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Here she blows...

1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Black pepper

as a side dish.

If I'm making mac and cheese for the main course (wit sausage and such) I use a fancier recipe. Like Altons. With less onion.

bigwheel said:
Hey Cap'n..now do this form a cheesy brown leathery crust over the top by any chance? Best Mac n Cheese I ever had before or since come out of the high sckrewl cafeteria up in Wiskeyta Falls TX back when the Red Sea was still only pink. It had that cheesy leather on top. I been searching for this recipe for many decades if it knows how do that trick. Kindly let me know.

bigwheel
BW. The one I made had a crust on it from the bead crumbs on top before baking. You might like that one. It is in the sides section. My kids are used to the crap from a box so didn't like the crust. I liked it a lot thogh, reminded me of old time mac & cheese ;)

Thanks Capt. I'll give her a go!

Puff said:
Lookin' good G.H.ster!

Man with all youv'e been cookin', big baby must be burned straight through the barrel :shock: ;)
Dude those bricks did the trick on that. It looks good as new. That fire hasn't gone out since last Saturday! I love it man. I wish I ccould cook all the time :LOL: :LOL:

Green Hornet said:
Puff said:
Lookin' good G.H.ster!

Dude those bricks did the trick on that. It looks good as new. That fire hasn't gone out since last Saturday! I love it man. I wish I ccould cook all the time :LOL: :LOL:
I forgot you put the fire bricks in [smilie=a_doh.gif]
Keep the pic's coming ;)

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Here she blows...

1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Black pepper

as a side dish.

I know what you're talking about but I've never seen it like that with
this recipe...some of the top does brown. I guess if you added more cheese and turned on the broiler.....but that may be in the Methodist
cookbook...this here one is Baptist all the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom