Butt is on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I just put the butt on the WSM. I probably will be working in the yard later today so I'm using the WSM. Rubbed with mustard and texasbbqrub.
I put the butt on about 3:20AM

The butt is at 154* and the WSM is at 238*. It maintained about 220 for about 6 hours. I then opened stirred the charcoals and open another vent only slightly. We plan on eating the butt for supper.

The butt was put on at 3:20AM this morning. I used Royal Oak hardwood and apple wood for smoke. It got to 195* at about 5PM. I let it rest for an hour before pulling it. It was good but not great. It was a little dry. It pulled fine. We had salad, chunked potatoes with onion soup mix, and pulled pork. I had Costos BBQ sauce (from Birmingham), and Rev. Marvins BBQ Sauce (from South Carolina). Here is a slide show of the days event.

http://img153.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 45l0i.smil

Oh Yeah looks good and sounds good. We like the taters with onion soup mix to...Slice the taters put a pat a butter in between the slices and sprinkle some onion soup mix and wrap in foil and but on the grill.... =P~

Cliff H. said:
I have done that with just butter but nothing else. I will have to give that a try

If you want to do a large batch, you might try slicing the potatoes (I use the v-slicer) into a pan and layering it with pats of butter and onion soup mix-- I haven't actually tried that on the grill, but that's how I do it in the winter when I microwave them.

oops-- Is "microwave" considered profanity around here? 8-[

My wife did the potatoes. The recipe is from the box of Lipton Onion Soup.

The potatoes were not done on the grill.

Here is the recipe.

Onion-Roasted Potatoes

1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix
4 medium all-purpose potatoes cut into large chunks (about 2 lbs.)
1/3 cup Bertolli Olive Oil

1. Preheat oven to 425*. In 13 X 9 –inch baking or roasting pan, combine all ingredients.
2. Bake, stirring occasionally, 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown.

Makes 4 servings

From the box of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Recipe Soup & Dip Mix.

cleglue said:
My wife did the potatoes. The recipe is from the box of Lipton Onion Soup.

The potatoes were not done on the grill.

Here is the recipe.

Onion-Roasted Potatoes

1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix
4 medium all-purpose potatoes cut into large chunks (about 2 lbs.)
1/3 Bertolli Olive Oil

1. Preheat oven to 425*. In 13 X 9 –inch baking or roasting pan, combine all ingredients.
2. Bake, stirring occasionally, 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown.

Makes 4 servings

From the box of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Recipe Soup & Dip Mix.
Now that's twice I've read today about Lipton's Onion Soup Mix and potato salad. Must be something to it! :!: Question though, 1/3 Bertolli Olive Oil ~ Is that 1/3 cup?

Burnt Food Dude said:
[This may help. I've been wrapping my butts & briskets in plastic wrap then foil for resting purposes. IMO it hold the juices better than just the foil. The wrap fits the hunk of meat tighter than the wrap. Of course the bark is a little softer.

I wonder if it would be possible to vac seal a whole butt before resting? Does FoodSaver make a bag large enough to put the whole thing in ?

Back
Top Bottom