Burgahs on the Smokah?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crossroads1

Assistant Cook
I am going to throw some burgers on this weekend for the first time. What sort of cook time can I expect?

looks like around 1.5 hrs at 225 sound right?

if you do that, go EASY on the smoke. Ground meat
picks it up very fast, and you may end up with a burger
that tastes like a charcoal briquette.

Some foods are just meant to be grilled, and imho, this
is one of them.

You don't time burgers bro, just grill them till the fats stops dripping out and don't squeeze them...

I was gonna do ribs too but have decided to grill the burgers and fire up the smoker for the ribs. Thanks for the heads up on them being too smokey. Cheers.

Sacrifice one of the burgers and put it on the smoker to see for yourself. It'll be a little snack for ya and let you experiment for yourself too. ;)

I've been cooken burgers on the UDS with hight heat just to get more grease built up in that thing.
They're 1/2 lbers and cook in about 20 min flippen once. Also try (if you have a grinder or food processor) ground brisket burgers! Grind in some of that fat cap too. Take it one step further and grind in some baccon fat, and cook em with butter molded into the middle. Butter, Baccon and Beef. You just can't go wrong.

thanks for the heads up from everyone. i ended up charcoalin the burgers on my cheapo kettle and threw a hickory stick on the side of the coals. burgers were perfect, reddish on the outside but done, pulled them when the grease stopped drippin (thanks sapo) and served them. they had a perfect hairline smoke ring and were plenty juicy and were a hit with everyone that night.

now i'm stumped, fired up the gatorpit for the babybacks, total cook time 6 hours @ 225 and they were just getting tender barely breaking up when i tonged them at one end. I was too tired to keepem going so pulled them. I put them on for 2.5 hrs, foiled for 2 hrs, and back on again for 1.5 hrs, I'm bettin another hr or two and they would have been perfect. the weekend prior i cooked babybacks for 6 hrs @ 225 and they were perfectly tender. what gives? i'm thinkin my cooker temp was 225 and the cooking surface temp could have been below that. i'm gonna try again this weekend...

agreed, i had them at the cool end of smoker and didn't check grate temps much so they probably ran at about 175. i won't make that mistake again.

That's a little to cool for me. I'd increase the temp to around 250. They can handle it. My bb's only go for 4 - 5 hours and never more than 1 hour in foil. More than that Nd they are mush.

I test rib doneness by either picking up the racks halfway down and see if they almost wanna break...OR... with a toothpick in the meat. If it feels like warm butter...done.
Don't do by time or temp... go by what the meat tells you. ;)

ScottyDaQ said:
I test rib doneness by either picking up the racks halfway down and see if they almost wanna break...OR... with a toothpick in the meat. If it feels like warm butter...done.
Don't do by time or temp... go by what the meat tells you. ;)

Scotty thanks for posting the toothpick idea, I too have trouble knowing when to pull 'em. Let me also say I love your new avatar ... I laugh out loud every time I see it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom