Bunch of Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I got a bunch of Butts going today….8 to be exact…and they are some big ole butts….I rubbed em down with the Swine Syndicate Rub..and will be smoking them on the WSMs with Hump Lump and a Mix of Cherry and Hickory.

One big happy Weber family

Those look like the butts I cooked yesterday! I guess the pigs fattened up for the winter!! Looking good, gonna be smelling good in the Wittdog neighborhood in a bit!!!

Couple of questions for you:

In the past you have trimmed the fat for extra bark. These don't look to be trimmed. Are they? Have you changed your process ?

SoEzzy gave me some good advice in a catering section thread, so how are you going to handle the cooling/packing process, that is IF you are going to cool and pack. ;)

Rather then trimming the fat cap all the way offf...I did trim it down..then I scored it like you would a ham..or "crowned" it......

I might also "foil" these at some point :oops: :twisted:
just trying some new techniques out...

I've had two for a while now...since last summer....I got the second one for comps and cooks like this..typically I only cook on one.

I had to pull the lid off and take a peek…one of the butts was reading 20* higher..and I knew something was wrong..the butt had shrunk and I wasn’t carefull where I put the probe..and the probe was sticking out the other side….
Butts are coming along nicely

Not a bad day…the smell of hickory and pork fat…and sharing a good book with D…..

Butts are done and I'm done...I just hit that 24+hrs without sleep…they are now resting in the Red Neck Cambro (Insulated Cooler that was preheated with boiling water and then layered with a towel)..Butts are double wrapped in foil and inside the RN Cambro….The pieces that were stuck to the grate were PDG…..

Dessert today was Ron’s Moms Chocolate Cobbler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom