Brisket via Sluggo & thanks for the help (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
I asked about how to do a brisket, and got some good advice. I got this brisket from the WalMart, weighing in at 16.69lbs. We had about 20 people over for a party, with some complaining about a brisket they had at some restruant somewhere and the brisket was bad, so I thought I'd give it a try, and give them good brisket.

I decided to trim very little, and used a rub from some guy named Wolfe (thanks for the pointers Larry)
pic of brisket right out of cryovac.
img_212349_0_9212a88f1e45fb4e7de1d312510e0927.jpg

I trimed just a little of the stuff hanging out etc, and rubbed it down. I did inject it, just really to try to inject it, I used a basic injection (listed in one of the other posts) of beef broth, wirtshire sauce and some spices After reading several pointers I put it fat side down, because I knew it would be on there a long time.
I put it on the Traeger at 225, at 930 pm, at Mid night , I rechecked the Traeger, loaded it with pellets, (I had mesquite so I used that) later that night it got down to 13.
at 7 am the next moring I checked, everything going good, I reloaded the pellets, and I flipped the meat to put the fat side up so it would baste a little (& yeah the fat stuck on the grill, no biggie), and I rotated it end for end as the Treager is hottest in the middle. the point was in the 180's and the flat 160's

About 930 I flipped it fat side down again, and started to mop (with a basic mopping sauce similiar to the injections, with a little more spices)

At about 1 30 it hit around 195 in all areas so I took it off foiled it and put it in the cooler with some towels. Now I hope it would stay warm until I served it at 830 pm.
Here's what it looked like when I took it off:

img_212349_1_d9104dbe33f4df2c90666bddb16b4cc8.jpg

This is the finished product, we served with your choice of mayo, b b que sauce (KC masterpiece) my wife's horsradish sauce, mustard, & yes it was still warm.
img_212349_2_f2dc476c2d86fac34d03d3e89c59be13.jpg

Btw I got lucky, I met a friend of mine at Buddy's Bar B Que here in Huntington, the owner, also a friend took me back in the kitchen as they had just taken off a brisket. He showed me how to separate the point and flat, remove some of the fat, and how best to slice it, what to use for slices and what to use for que. Also that the flat is drier then the point (lean vs fatty)

What would I do different? trim less, I would leave it fat side down, and just mop, other then that it came out great in IMHO!! Btw everyone else must have as well as there wasn't any left? (except what I kept back for the next day!!)
& thanks to Larry Bigwheel and many others for your pointers!!!

Great job on the brisket! I got a lot of help from bigwheel and others last week when I did my first brisket. It came out fantastic. It's always nice when things work the way you wish them to. Don't know if I would have invited a gang over for my first attempt though. I have had some not so nice results with things as I've been learning the craft of BBQ. Things are getting much better now though.

Sluggo,

That takes a lot of guts to cook your first brisket for 20 people. My hat is off to you.

Regards,
Oak

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom