Brisket Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
As far as one and two, you're not gonna get a consensus on this forum. Some are up, some are down. Contests have been won both ways.
Perhaps note the replies with similar pits and try the majority.

wdroller said:
When my new pit arrives I don't plan to do a brisket right away, but a couple of questions have popped into my mind as I read the forums.

1. Do people smoke this cut fat side down during the entire process?

2. If the fat side gets rub, does it not drip off with the rendered fat? In other words, why bother putting rub on the down side?

3. Anybody have the recipe for the TexasBBQ sauce used with brisket?

As always, thanks for your help.

1. It's up to you, you'll never get a right or a wrong way on how to do a brisket. Just a difference in opinions. I do mine, fat side up and like them that way. I've done one fat down and did not like the results. But, alot of people do them fat side down and like them that way. Do one both ways and see which way you like and go from there.
2. I rub the whole brisket, but scrape the fat off before I slice. Does it penetrate? I'm not sure, but it doesn't hurt.
3. Not sure what the TexasBBQ sauce is, unless you are talking about www.texasbbqrub.com ? If so, it's a great rub to use.

Captain Morgan said:
As far as one and two, you're not gonna get a consensus on this forum. Some are up, some are down. Contests have been won both ways.
Perhaps note the replies with similar pits and try the majority.
Ummm, I Don't know! :grin:

I actually flip them sometimes! I do find that fat side down works well to keep the "meat" from sticking to the grates, but I doubt very much if it makes any difference at all. Can you imagine serving someone a slice of brisket and having them say,: " you cooked this fat side up didn't you!" #-o #-o #-o

brisket - fat side down
butt- fat side up

Some people claim keeping the fat side down on a brisket protects the meat from the heat of the smoker.

Fat side goes between the heat and the meat
I tell ya Cattlemans with a lil loving (add your touch) is good stuff

If cooking on an offset flipping on the 1/2s is a good idea. On a vertical cooker I cook fat side down.

I don't rub the fat, can't think of an good idea for doing it.
Jim

Smoker
This post will self distruct as soon as you read it.
I'm not going there, I have not made any statements about my wife's weight.
You trying to get me in trouble? [-X

LOL
Jim

jminion said:
If cooking on an offset flipping on the 1/2s is a good idea. On a vertical cooker I cook fat side down.

I don't rub the fat, can't think of an good idea for doing it.
Jim

Thanks, I actually feel validated now! Kind of "satisfying......." Hey Smoker, let me borrow that cigarette!

I'm with my Q-Brother in crime Woodman on this one. I like to start fat down to allow the meat to set, if you will, before I put it on the grates. I don't like the grates on finished brisket. After halftime I flip for a while then put it back.

Uncle Bubba have you tried the Klose rub rubbed overnight on brisket yet? Made a nice fat prime rib roast,slivered a head o garlic,Klose B rub saran wrapped 2 days ago,cooked with red oak today mmmmm$%#@#*good.
I like to sprinkle the fat side of brisket after saraning overnight in fridge,then once again just before putting fat side down in cooker,seems to me the fat side forms a crust with the extra rub applied and keeps in juices.

Smoker writes >>>Jim, you are obviously not married to a heavy women.<<<

There's some "interestin" people floatin round here 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ :) :)

Back
Top Bottom