Brisket Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
In the past I have not trimmed my brisket. I also do not put any rub on the fat cap. I am considering spending more time on the next one by trimming pretty close. Close enough that I wouldn't need to do anything but slice and serve after the rest.

Do you think it would be a waste of rub to coat the fat cap even when trimmed ?

I was told to trim so I would get a better smoke ring. I put rub everywhere I can see. Like Big E said, Salt and Pepper is good enough.. Main thing is "slow ans Low".. Video and pics too Cliff.... :D

You can trim them pretty close. I like about .125"-.25" of fat. I rub it everywhere. To me, the secret to a great eating brisket is in the juice. This is where non-foilers lose it in my opinion. You need to double foil the brisket at 160-170 degrees and make certain not to pierce or tear that foil! When you hit 200 degrees, and rest it for an hour or so, you will have all that glorious collagen and fat in the foil. I reserve the brisket, mix the au juis with about o cup of my red sauce and pour back over the brisket to hold before serving. The juice flavors the meat and keeps it moist until serving. It also makes for the greatest bread sop for sandwiches!

Woodman said:
You can trim them pretty close. I like about .125"-.25" of fat. I rub it everywhere. To me, the secret to a great eating brisket is in the juice. This is where non-foilers lose it in my opinion. You need to double foil the brisket at 160-170 degrees and make certain not to pierce or tear that foil! When you hit 200 degrees, and rest it for an hour or so, you will have all that glorious collagen and fat in the foil. I reserve the brisket, mix the au juis with about o cup of my red sauce and pour back over the brisket to hold before serving. The juice flavors the meat and keeps it moist until serving. It also makes for the greatest bread sop for sandwiches!

BINGO! I agree with Dave on this 110%!

Well could agree but didnt notice any mention about defatting all that glorious fat..blood..collogen and whutever else collects in those drippings. The brisket fat which accumulates in the foil is some purty nasty tasting stuff till it been removed from the equation.

bigwheel

I rarely trim at all but I rub both sides, a dry rub over paste rub thing. I do de-fat the juices (I agree it's important to do).

Here's a recent one: 13.25 lbs, took a bit over 4 hours.

--plus roasted fingerlings, roasted asparagus, tomatoes--with mango ketchup, and jus.

Even on the occasions I trim, which aren't many, I rub all over. No way would I consider the rub wasted.

wittdog said:
Could you expand on the butter thing please...
Thanks
De-fat the juices. (I use a fat separator.) Re-warm them, if necessary, and add a little unsalted butter. (I use about a T of butter per 1/2 c jus.) Whisk very well (or use a shaker. The milk solids in the butter will help it to emulsify--for a little while anyway--long enough to make the jus more clingy. I paint the slices with a pastry brush. BFD dips them into his mix.

As he notes, taste the jus prior and add any other ingredients to it you feel are necessary. The butter will help all emulsify. It also adds a bit of shine to the slices, eliminating the dry look brisket often gets after slicing--even if it isn't dry at all.

I have never noticed any adverse flavor from the fat. Never had anyone do anything but rave about the juice! While I agree that the de-fatting method with butter added may produce a better product, I do not have the time while slicing 20 briskets at a cook! to de-fat six quarts! I am starting with pretty well trimmed flats so, after 8 initial hours in the pit, I think 80% of the fat is sizzling on the plates or dripped out the ball valve!

Yeah flats prob a little different ball game on the fat production. I normally cook trimmed packers which usually leaves a fairly copious amount of fat in the foil. Improves the flavor immensely to defat it before adding it back in along with some fresh sop. Never have tried the butter trick but sounds like a good plan.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom