brisket, deckle on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobberqer

Sous Chef
does any one use these brand briskets, IBP, EXCEL & NATIONAL... or see them in any store you go to????

and, if you use them, do they come with the deckle on?.....

if this is the case, could you pls tell me where you live..

or, what brands are you buying that have the deckle on

mucho apprecido[:)]

FYI i've talked to the reps of these companies, and they tell me they do not sell brisket with the deckle on, at least in the NY area, which I'm having a hard time believing

I have seen Excel briskets with the point on here in Michigan at Restaurant Depot and Sams Club usually carries IBP brisket flats. Have not seen National.

I've seen all the above at one point or another. Deckle on is some type of meat industry term I suppose. Guess they are talking about what normally passes for "Packer Trim" around these parts..which does include the flat and the deckle (aka point). So guess a person could call em deckle on if they wanted. Unless maybe the deckle on versions undergo some type of additional defatting to which the Packers do not get. The stores which still actually engage in meat cutting will take the best specimines of cryoed packers which are nearing the expiry date, trim them up good and tray them up with plastic wrap..jack up the price and sell those as trimmed briskets. That give a person the flat and the deckle only with a bunch of fat remove. Everybody I know hates Excel briskets but love IBP. National has real purty briskets (fat as white as snow guess it something in the cow's diet) but neva had any luck with them in cookoffs. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Bob, Resturant Depot in Farmingdale has them. I picked ine up last week, not sure of the brand but I thought it was ecel. I'll check later and get back to ya!

Back
Top Bottom