Brisket Cook...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Inspired by Cappy's brisket attempt, I decided to do one of my own. Got a 4lb brisket from the butcher and rubbed it with woosty and Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend.

Also, instead of using the WSM, I tried out the BBQ Baffle. I'll go ahead and review that in the "Product Reviews" section after this.

Started at 10:30am, foiled it at 165 and took it to 195*. Took it off the grill at 4:15pm and served it around 5:30pm or so...had a few neighbors over to try it out.

All in all it was good...here is a link to the pics if you care to view them.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=552112201&security=orjjUR

The brisket looks great Greg. Nice smoke ring. Where are the pics of the sliced pie? =P~ Nice to see ya cooking something :razz:

brian j said:
dang, that is a nice smoke ring. just out of curriosity, was there any water or other liquid in the cooker and did you a mop or anything?
If you didn't just how humid was it in Ohio when you cooked it?

Brian...no water...just the way it looked in the picture. No mopping or spraying either...I didn't lift the lid unless it was to add coals and wood which was every 60 minutes per the BBQ Baffle instructions.

Witt, it wasn't really humid...I don't have an exact measurement though!

Greg Rempe said:
Brian...no water...just the way it looked in the picture. No mopping or spraying either...I didn't lift the lid unless it was to add coals and wood which was every 60 minutes per the BBQ Baffle instructions.

The only reason I asked was I've done some reading and some people theorize that humidity is a factor in smoke ring formation.

Well, I think it looks pretty dang good! =P~ What kind of sauce did you make and like someone else asked, tell us more about the pie..

You gonna mow that yard today?? :grin:

brian j said:
[quote="The Joker":3oflze6b]Well, I think it looks pretty dang good! =P~
i never said it looked anything but good. i just asked about the moisture because like witt i've heard that moisture may affect the smoke ring and that brisket has a nice smoke ring.[/quote:3oflze6b]
Okay ... :-k 8-[

I put it on cold from the fridge...I've heard that a cold piece of meat will achieve a better smoke ring than a room temp piece...never heard about the humid deal before!

The Baffle says to start with 25 lit coals and then add between 6-8 unlit (depending on outside tempreature) every hour from there...seemed to be more or less on target...however, the ability to keep the temps in true BBQ range was really hard if you follow the directions to the T...I made a few adjustments later in the cook but I figured I'd give it a shot as the book described this first time! :D

We had a sampling of sauce...my homemade BBQ sauce, the pan juicy from the meat itself and some Rev Marvin's Original. It was all very good...even used kaiser rolls! :eek:

The front yard gets more attention than the back...I think ratio is 3:1 :(

Greg, when I smoke on the Performer I either use the baskets or a pile of coals and start off with about 5 lit coals. That seems to work well and keeps the temps in the BBQ range.

Greg Rempe said:

Greg, when I use the baffle to Q in my kettle, I place a small disposable loaf pan filled 1/2 with water above the coals and a disposable drip pan under the meat about 1/4 full, just enough so the drippings won't burn. The temps are very easy to control that way.

I noticed your vent settings on the kettle and if that's where you had them the entire cook, IMHO, that is wide open and your fire will be hot. I close mine down to just barely open.

The brisket looked great, and the pie even better!!!!!!!!!!

10-4 Bruce...the instructions on the baffle say to leave the bottom vents open...thought that seemed extreme but I'm not very smart...by the end of the cook I had the vents on the bottom 85% closed...kinda WSM'ish!

Back
Top Bottom