Brisket Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
In response to my drooling over all the brisket activity on this blog, I challenged myself to smoke my first brisket. After I bought a 4.3 lb. flat brisket at Costco, I panicked and lost my nerve. What did I do? I posted "Due or Die Brisket" on this blog and got lots of help from regulars like Gary, Bigwheel, Ron, Buzz, etc., I got up the courage to rub up the brisket and slather a couple of racks of ribs today.

Here's the brisket ready to go with some Suckle Busters Hoochie Mama rub. Ziggy, our
Great Dane on the far left of the photo, has taken notice!

The ribs have yellow mustard slathered on them and Wolfe Rub Original.

Got them in the WSM with some hardwood for fuel and Pecan hunks for flavor. I'll post the
results later in the day.

Is that snow on that mountain?? In California??

The highest thing around here is a pitchers mound..........

Good luck on the brisket and ribs!

ronbeaux50 said:
Is that snow on that mountain?? In California??

The highest thing around here is a pitchers mound..........

Good luck on the brisket and ribs!
Yes it's snow. We got 4 feet of it from the storms last week. It's about an hours drive to the local ski resorts up there from us.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Looks good Smokey Lew! I was hoping to cook this weekend now that the freakin rain has stopped but unfortunately I had too many things to get done. I'll be expecting my phone to ring when everything is ready and I'll be right down. :)

Captain Morgan said:
gorgeous view. I think the ultimate is being able to see
snow without being in it

It is. I want to visit snow, it doesn't need to visit me.

Looking good Lew, Let us know how it turns out.

Okay, it's about 2:30 in the afternoon and the brisket and ribs have been smoking for about 2.5 hrs. I pulled the brisket, set it on foil and put the temp. probe in it. It's registering at 162 degrees. Also added some of the hot mop and then closed the foil and put it back in the WSM. Just turned the ribs over and will probably foil and mop them in another half hour.

Looks good. Now dont be flipping those spares. Meat side down until they are done.

bigwheel

Well as it turns out, Lew ate well tonight! The ribs came out nice and juicy with a good flavor. The brisket went into the ice chest (No photo. Just a tiny boring ice chest.) to sit awhile. I'm going to put it in the refrigerator and cut it tomorrow or the next day and reheat with the mop.

The mop was a recipe out of "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book" - Jim Goode's Barbecue mop. It was so good that I was putting it on left over tri-tip that was a bit overdone to make sandwiches during the ball game - Yum, Yum! :P

Finished everything off by making some "Dad's Dirty Rice" as on http://www.redvelvetcafe.com/grains/dads_dirty_rice.php

Finished rips!

Great looking ribs Lew. Saved the dirty rice recipe. sounds real good and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

Nice job Lew! We knew you could do it! lol Beautiful view (redundant, I know). I have some family friends that live in Riverside. He was I think he was the/a chief of the F.D. in San Bernadino. Good lookin bones. Cant wait to see and hear about the reheat on the brisket.

Back
Top Bottom