brisket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I would like to start turning out a better brisket. I like the faver I get with my on rub. my brisket are some what allways tander. I do not like the color of my brisket which is black an my brisket are some what dry.

I like to use this temp when I cook brisket that is 225
I cook a brisket to 195 intrual temp.
I allways stick with 12lb brisket.

Larry I think I what to be you when it come to a brisket an ribs can you an all the guys on the site help me out.

Thanks,
missing Link.

This is the equipment I use a char-griller with fireboxs.

Link,
First of all thanks. Here's how I do my briskets. I separate the point from the flat prior to cooking. Then I cook them fat side up between 225 and 250, temps don't have to be exact this is BBQ we're talking about. I foil the point and the flat when the flat is around 165*. Again it doesn't have to be exactly 165*, if it goes over don't worry about it. Then I pull the flat when it reaches 190*. I wouldn't suggest going past 190* IMHO. I leave the point on for at least another hour or longer to render. Let the brisket rest at least one hour prior to slicing. Chop up and lightly sauce the point.

Oh, and the black on your brisket. Make sure your exhaust vent is 100% open. Typically the overly blackness (soot) on your meat is cause by a fire that is not burning properly. You want your fire to burn not smolder. If it doesn't have enough oxygen and airflow it will smolder.

Hope this helps.

Larry thanks for the information. I do have a habit of missing with exhaust. this was the way I showed how to run this pit you set the fire and close the exhaust vent as needed. I will work on this this weekend.

The Missing Link said:
Larry thanks for the information. I do have a habit of missing with exhaust. this was the way I showed how to run this pit you set the fire and close the exhaust vent as needed. I will work on this this weekend.

On any smoker you should have the exhaust 100% open. (unless you are using a Guru, I think you close the top vent using that cheating device) Ducking for cover!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Missing Link":24mm8p01]Larry thanks for the information. I do have a habit of missing with exhaust. this was the way I showed how to run this pit you set the fire and close the exhaust vent as needed. I will work on this this weekend.

On any smoker you should have the exhaust 100% open. (unless you are using a Guru, I think you close the top vent using that cheating device) Ducking for cover![/quote:24mm8p01]

I use that cheating device and leave my top vent open 100%.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3441n5xd][quote="The Missing Link":3441n5xd]Larry thanks for the information. I do have a habit of missing with exhaust. this was the way I showed how to run this pit you set the fire and close the exhaust vent as needed. I will work on this this weekend.

On any smoker you should have the exhaust 100% open. (unless you are using a Guru, I think you close the top vent using that cheating device) Ducking for cover![/quote:3441n5xd]

I use that cheating device and leave my top vent open 100%.[/quote:3441n5xd]

Well I don't know anything about the Guru. Might as well cook in your oven! :taunt: :pop:

Air into your pit should equal the out put of your pit. Bad things happen when folk damp the exhaust and not the intake. I may play with a Guru in time. But for now, Good old fire tending and knowledge of my pit gets me by. If your lazy barbecue is not or you. I swear, If someone made a pit that was 'automatic' ( turn switch on, Add meat, Take out when buzzer goes off) some of you boys would buy it in a heart beat! That's NOT barbecue. Oh boy, Time for my medication. :grin:

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":20h5ivqh]

Well I don't know anything about the Guru. Might as well cook in your oven! :taunt: :pop:
I cooked a killer brisket in my oven on Sunday. \:D/ :happyd: \:D/ :happyd: \:D/ :happyd:[/quote:20h5ivqh]

Nothing wrong with that Bryan, but what's the challenge/art/fun? You can't tell people that rave over your brisket that you cooked it. You can tell them well I loaded up my cooker and set a switch and this little gadget that cost more than my pit cooked it for me. Just my opinion of course.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1crn8yfe][quote="Larry Wolfe":1crn8yfe][quote="The Missing Link":1crn8yfe]Larry thanks for the information. I do have a habit of missing with exhaust. this was the way I showed how to run this pit you set the fire and close the exhaust vent as needed. I will work on this this weekend.

On any smoker you should have the exhaust 100% open. (unless you are using a Guru, I think you close the top vent using that cheating device) Ducking for cover![/quote:1crn8yfe]

I use that cheating device and leave my top vent open 100%.[/quote:1crn8yfe]

Well I don't know anything about the Guru. Might as well cook in your oven! :taunt: :pop:[/quote:1crn8yfe]

Nah, I'm realy into microwaving briskets! #-o

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2geuz7w4][quote="Bryan S":2geuz7w4][quote="Larry Wolfe":2geuz7w4]

I cooked a killer brisket in my oven on Sunday. \:D/ :happyd: \:D/ :happyd: \:D/ :happyd:[/quote:2geuz7w4]

Nothing wrong with that Bryan, but what's the challenge/art/fun? You can't tell people that rave over your brisket that you cooked it. You can tell them well I loaded up my cooker and set a switch and this little gadget that cost more than my pit cooked it for me. Just my opinion of course.[/quote:2geuz7w4]
Well my "not Barbequed" ( according to Pigs) brisket was really good. Not sure what to call it maybe you clowns can dream something up for me. :) The fun was i got to sit inside with the central air going while it was 93 degrees with 78% humidity watching TV. Ah life is good with the Guru. =D> =D> =D>[/quote:2geuz7w4]

I call it brisket! Works every time and everybody knows what it is!

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3hhita1e][quote="Bryan S":3hhita1e][quote="Larry Wolfe":3hhita1e]

I cooked a killer brisket in my oven on Sunday. \:D/ :happyd: \:D/ :happyd: \:D/ :happyd:[/quote:3hhita1e]

Nothing wrong with that Bryan, but what's the challenge/art/fun? You can't tell people that rave over your brisket that you cooked it. You can tell them well I loaded up my cooker and set a switch and this little gadget that cost more than my pit cooked it for me. Just my opinion of course.[/quote:3hhita1e]
Well my "not Barbequed" ( according to Pigs) brisket was really good. Not sure what to call it maybe you clowns can dream something up for me. :) The fun was i got to sit inside with the central air going while it was 93 degrees with 78% humidity watching TV. Ah life is good with the Guru. =D> =D> =D>[/quote:3hhita1e]

Oh come on Bryan.......we're just razzing you bud! Just a difference in opinions. No different than sand vs. water, to foil vs. not to foil, etc. If you enjoy using the Guru great. I just prefer to be a bit more hands on, I get bored easily. If you wanna take the easy way out and use the Guru that's your choice! :taunt:

Back
Top Bottom