Brine or Inject

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I am considering injecting a turkey with Tony's or something. I know there is a thread here somewhere from last year but what the hey, this is a new year. :LOL:

If I find a bird with very low salt solution then I am going to brine. If non are to be found then I am going to inject a pre pumped bird with some flavors that I would normally fry with.

Any thoughts ?

Good ?

Bad ?

Cliff,

This will sound like heresy to some, but I'm being honest, I usually have anywhere from 15-20 folks over for T-Day every year and I have injected birds, brined birds, brined and injected, bought already injected birds, and to tell you the truth, the last couple years I have been buying Butterball Turkeys that are already injected with solution, adding rub to the bird, especially under the skin, adding aromatics inside the bird (apple, onion, orange and some sage) placing a piece of butter soaked cheesecloth over the bird and cooking it on the WSM at higher temps (300-325) and they have been some of the best turkeys I've ever done.

Most "regular" folks, those who don't cook a lot of turkeys, usually get the turkey on their plate and put gravy over it anyway, so I have given up on the brines and injections and follow the other procedure.

When I injected I used the product that we all see in the stores made for injecting and I also used Scotties Creole Butter injection with good success (google it for the recipe). Happy T-Day Cliff to you and yours.

Bruce B said:
Most "regular" folks, those who don't cook a lot of turkeys, usually get the turkey on their plate and put gravy over it anyway, so I have given up on the brines and injections and follow the other procedure.

Cranberry sauce!

Bruce is pretty much right on with the different methods and such all working well. They'll all produce a great tasting bird, depending on the method you choose, some will simply take longer to prep the bird.

Couple rules of thumb to go by when injecting or brining.

1. Don't brine a self basting or Kosher turkey. Koshers are already brined and self basting birds are injected with a broth solution which varies in salt levels, thus they brined through the injection process. If you brine a Kosher or Self Basting Turkey you're wasting your time cause the turkey can only absorb so much water and you'll end up with a salty salty bird. Only brine a fresh turkey.

2. When you brine use 1/4 cup of non-iodized salt* per quart of water, any less you're not brining. You can use more, just brine for a shorter amount of time. Add sugar and whatever other flavors you want to the brine, just keep the ratio of salt to water the same.
(*some people only use Kosher salt, I have been using plain non-iodized table salt for years)

3. If you inject a kosher or self basting turkey, consider the salt content it already has in it and adjust your rub or injection recipe.

4. Never reuse brine!!

5. Make sure the bird is thoroughly defrosted.

6. Calibrate your thermometers, very, very, very important especially when dealing with poultry!

BONE HEADS said:
I use the creole butter injector and then season with creole seasoning, never any leftovers.

Thats the one I have. Now if I can find a bird with out much stuff already in it I will be good to go. ;)

Back
Top Bottom