Breaking in the new ET-73 tonight..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we're into this brisket thing, how about some "tech talk" . On the top of the brisket is that piece of meat that is ALWAYS tender and juicy. The meat is more "stringy" but always perfect. What is that part called. Also, I hear referances all the time about packers ect...How about a brisket termonology and anatomy lesson please...

There is much controversy on this subject. Example you take a whole hog that weighs 150 pounds and put it in a pit at 250 degrees, How long will that meat stay in the danger zone? Same with a brisket, Or pork butt. Heat kills bacteria. What about aged beef? They have to trim the rotten stuff off first.Is it safe? or just a great piece of meat you pay HUGE bucks for and not worry about the ageing process. Another reason I don't like to foil and plop a perfect piece of meat in a cooler. How long is it going to maintain a temp of 140? Not long. But no one worries about that?

I didn't know resting in foil was also considered 'using the Texas crutch' ... I figured that was just for cooking ... I do know the butts and chuck rolls I have done stay very hot for several hours in the cooler with blankets

As for leaving meat out, in the house I grew up in Mom would leave cooked meat out on the counter overnight and a turkey would stay on the counter several days (all in about 60F - 65F room temp) before being turned into soup that in turn usually sat out an additional night. Nobody died though I do think my folks get 'the flu' more often than most people.

I didn't continue the practice. I will let meat cool on the counter before putting it in the fridge but none of this overnight stuff.

Back
Top Bottom