Boston Butt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
I never flip my butts either. I will, however, give them a quick spritz with some apple juice or pineapple juice, or whatever I have handy, at about the halfway mark of the cook. Usually just do it once or maybe once again at the halfway mark.

I don't do it all the time only if I happen to have juice in the house.

the only time I've flipped is when doing 4 the same size, 2 on top, 2 on bottom ... switched the top for the bottom ... but you don't HAVE to ... you can leave the bottom ones in longer if they need it ... or I've moved them if they were huge and an outside edge has gotten really dark

we could probably have another :pop: discussion about this but I've had great results shooting for a 235F WSM temp ... some will even say 250F ... when trying for 225F I was doing like 20+ hour butt cooks ... 235F has been in about the 14 hr - 16 hr range for me ... but you have a Guru so your mileage may vary

a caution about finish temp: use 195F as a guideline ... if they look and feel done, they are done .... if the bone is sticking out and feels like you could pull it right out ... nice bark .... the butt feels like it could fall apart in your hands you know it is done .... there is also the fork test ... stick a fork in a meaty section, give a little twist and feel how easily the meat pulls apart .... if it doesn't pull willingly it needs more time .... the reason for this I think has a lot to do with the thermometer used and placement in the butt

I like when they get that look that they are about to collapse on themselves due to the tenderness...then they're done. Usually coincides with the bone about to fall out, the great bark, and the almost inability to handle it. YEP, it's done.

Bruce B said:
I like when they get that look that they are about to collapse on themselves due to the tenderness...then they're done. Usually coincides with the bone about to fall out, the great bark, and the almost inability to handle it. YEP, it's done.
=P~ now yer talking dirty :grin:

I'll hit them with a mop. It helps flavor up the bark. No need to flip. I like to handel them once during the cook so they don't stick to the grates.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom