Birthday Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
My grandson was turning one on Sunday and I was charged with bringing the pulled pork to the party. I had just gotten my sample pack of Kosmo's Q so this was the opportunity I was looking for. I went to Krogres and got two 9+ lb. butts and Friday night 10:00 PM Injected them with Kosom's Q Pork Injection.

I was following a recipe and had the recipe on my new iPad, just so I did not miss a step and it gave me an excuse to use my new toy. Bagged them up and put them in the fridge 'til morning.

Saturday morning 6:00AM, rubbed them with Southern Succor Pork Rub from the Smoke & Spice book.

Saturday night, 6:00PM on the WSM, these are big ass butts. Normally I run at 225°, but my pal Huck Sr. suggested 250° and that is what I did.

Mid-night check and re-stoked the fire and went to bed.

Sunday morning 6:00 AM they were running at about 180°, two + more hours and they were done. Increasing from 225° to 250° shortened my usual cook by several hours and no noticeable difference in the pork.

Wrapped them and in a cooler for for the trip to Columbus, OH. Pulled the pork just before we were ready to eat, about 4 hours after wrapping and it was still hot enough I had to use my brown jersey gloves under my food gloves.

Obviously the "Birthday Boy" was more interested in something other than food.

The Kosmo's was great and the rub really gives you great bark with a pretty good bite, the bottom line ... the shirt says it all.

Mighty fine looking birthday butts there bbquzz! Cute grandson too.

Curious, why did you tie the butts? Did you remove the bone?

Really nice looking cook bbquzz. I just got my order of Kosmo's pork injection, as well. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I also ordered their Dirty Bird rub and tried that on some chicken last night. Rubbed it on some legs, thighs and wings about an hour before grilling. It was really nice.

Shores said:
Mighty fine looking birthday butts there bbquzz! Cute grandson too.

Curious, why did you tie the butts? Did you remove the bone?

Not really sure why other than it makes a little neater package to put on the smoker. With a smaller butt it is not bad, but these big honkers could have gotten away from me floppin' around. I would really like to have found 3, 6 or 7 lbs. butts rather than these two 10 lbs butts, but it was all Kroger had when I got there. I do not remove the bone and do make sure when I tie them I can get to the bone to wiggle.

That was a cool pictorial. Great job and Happy birthday to the little fella..... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom