birds are on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I just put two 14 pound turkeys on the WSM. The bottom one is Wolf rubbed and the top one is salt and peppered and stuffed with an apple quarteded, an onion, some cinnamon, fresh sage , rosemary and thyme. BTW the outside temp has warmed up to 12*.

This is the top bird.

This is the bottom bird.

This is the two birds on the WSM right before the lid went on.

Oh yeah I'm using cherry for the smoke.

Griff

Wow Griff you got me in a lot of twoble here. The neeked turkey apparently look like a big old chubby neeked lady to some folk who is peering over your shoulder here. Glad I finally refound it to go prove I was innocent.

bigwheel

Just to show you guys what a WSM can do when it's Alaska cold outside, this is what the temp was for the first 45 minutes of the double bird cook.

Oh yeah, also did some ABTs on the kettle. The background is white because the kettle is sitting in the snow.

This the herb stuffed bird. Tasted great.

Here's a plate of Wolf rub turkey. My guests commented on how they liked the little bite at the end of the taste. Good job Larry.

Five different pies for desert.
[/url]

I hope your Thanksgiving was as fun as ours.

Griff

OUTSTANDING GRIFF!!! Beautiful, beautiful color on that bird!! Which bird finished first top or bottom?

Larry

The top one finished about 20 minutes before the bottom one. That is probably because I never did the half way thru rotation. I did the "all vents wide open the whole cook" thing and didn't touch anything during the cook.

Griff

Griff, great looking bird !! I was wondering, how did the skin on the bottom bird differ from the top bird since it got auto-basted ?

Al

Uncle Al, the top one definately had crispier skin. I'm sure glad I did two birds because we needed half of the second one for dinner and half for leftovers.

Griff

Whut was your pit temp? How and where did you track the internal temp? Whut temp did you pull it? Did it have a juicy breastes? Did it have any blood in the thigh joint? Thanks.

bigwheel

Pit temp started at 400* and dropped to 350* after 45 minutes. It was at 325* or so when I pulled the last bird. The breast was 164* and my guests, to a person, said it was the moistest they'd ever had. The thighs were not bloody and were done and around 176 when I brought the bird in. I let it set for 30 minutes before carving and didn't check the final temps after the half hour sit.

Griff

Well thanks for that info. Last one of them things I cooked breast up in a ECB with similar heat levels and temps come out with a breast that was dryer than a bone. I think we must have different defintions of juicy..or else I dont know how to cook em right side up. Now when I say moist I mean you got to wear goggles so it dont squirt you in the eye. Is this your definition of juicy too? Thanks.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom