Big Poppa Pork Butts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottiewalton

Assistant Cook
I am smoking a bunch of meat for my daughter's wedding reception on the 16th. I have 4 Boston Butts on my Big Poppa Smoker's UDS kit smoker. She is humming along at about 230 degrees.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370189521.920835.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370189535.702370.jpg
There's the 4th butt on the diffuser rack in a foil pan.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370189589.367801.jpg

Looks like the situation is well in hand. Now you gonna bag suck and freeze it maybe? Gonna be whole chunks or pushed? Whats the plan to rejuvevinate that stuff and make it fittin?

I made a bad mistake, well a couple of bad ones. I started early and cooked all day, well over 13 hours for these pork butts. So I was pretty tired by the end of the day. I had three butts on the top wrack of my UDS. The fourth was on the diffuser rack. I should have known that putting that pork butt on the diffuser was just like putting it on a burner even though it was in a foil pan. Second mistake was that I only probed the one butt on the diffuser rack. So when the internal temp of the bottom butt reached 201, I took them all off the cooker, wrapped and put them in a cooler. I then went to take a nap for a few hours. When I got up I discovered the butts were tough and hard to pull apart. The butt that was on the lower rack was way overcooked... DUH!!!

So I am gonna cook 4 new ones. THIS TIME... I am gonna only cook 2 or 3 at a time on the top rack only and I'm gonna monitor temps on all of them. This was a bad mistake but I'm glad it was pork butt and not a more expensive meat.

We all have made mistakes like that, that's how we learn. Good luck with your next cook and keep the pictures coming!

Back
Top Bottom