Big Brisket question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rich,

Thanks, you are a wealth of knowledge and I did read through the brisket post but it was after I realized the brisket I had bought was not a spanish version brisket but a complete miscommunication and it was on the grill.

I will definately use it next time when I actually have a brisket. I have made a small truckload of beef briskets in the oven but the indirect grilling and such is fairly difficult, especially when you don't have what you think you have. The lean meat I think will have worked against me.

I think, if I have done what I think I have done, that the rather large chunk o' meat I have cooked will be a bit dry on the out side and fairly rare in the center, we will see.

Worse case scenario will be me and who ever visits will eat thinly sliced sandwiches for the next month.

Thanks for the Spanish for Brisket, Falda. Next time I will be a bit more prepared.

Here are the pix. I learned a couple of important things about BBQ.

1. Fat is good.
2. Falda is brisket.
3. Bola De Res is not
4. Wrapping and slow resting is really good

For those just looking in:
I bought this cut under the impression that it was a brisket and when I opened it up it was not but I proceeded to cook it as if it was. As it cooked I submitted tot he forum what I was doing and it turned out I should have probably been following a different temp schedule. Anyway....

Balo De Res rubbed with the Reverend's Original and Cracked Pepper Dry Rub
BolaDeRes_rubbed.jpg

First Slice
BolaDeRes_1stSlice.jpg

Another slice: picture taken without a flash
BolaDeRes_Sliced.jpg

Plated with garlic mashed potatoes
BolaDeRes_Plated.jpg

My wife loved it. I thought it was ok. More fat on the cut would have made a world of difference.

Well :oops: I tossed in some hickory at one point and I did not think the smoky with the beef was as good as if I had cooked it with out. The smoke flavor was a bit overpowering. It may be that I prefer pork and chicken to beef except for rare beef and it was done a bit more than rare.

It did take a nice picture. :D

Now that I have had some time to eat this monster piece of meat I must say it was actually delicious. Once it cooled and I figured out how to slice it.

I must of had 30 sandwiches trying to finish it off. Luckily my daughter likes it. It is like a lightly smokey roast beef or from what I can gather exactly like a smokey roast beef. Once it cooled and sat and I began to slice it really thin I began to enjoy my strange mistake.

I think it will be while before I do it again though. :D

Sometimes mistakes turn out better than the original :)

Looks fine from here.

Bet it would make good hot sammies too with a bit of gravy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom