Bear...Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Joker said:
Where's Griff when you need him??? :grin:

Right here. I'm gonna assume that this bear has not been eating salmon all fall. If it has, you can forget eating it. This is a problem in Alaska, and one of the reasons why our laws do not require bear meat to be taken from the field. Trust me on this one, I've skinned griz that have been eating fish and rolling in dead salmon all summer and fall--most disgusting thing I've ever encountered. However, I eaten black bear ham in the fall when moose hunting with my brother along the Yukon River. My brother told me to shoot a black bear if I saw one because his inlaws liked fall black bear. He married an Athabaskan woman and lived in Kaltag at the time. Sure enough I saw a two year old bear and killed it with one shot. (different story with the griz) We discussed whether to skin and butcher it on the spot or take it back to our camp. We decided it was getting late and to take it back to camp. I had the rear paws and my brother had the front paws and we were just about to toss it in the river boat. My brother dropped his end of the bear and put a .44 slug behind its ear. He said "I didn't want that bear to wake up in the boat while we were on the river."

Anyway, we roasted a hind quarter on a spit over camp fire coals two days later. We would carve off the outer portion as it got done and browned. There's not going to be any marbling in the meat. I remember it tasting great. But remember we were in a camp on the Yukon River, the northern lights were blazing, we had two moose hanging and a lot of whiskey.

Griff

Spiceysmoke said:
Sounds like a quote out of a Hemingway novel, no wait, maybe Jack London. Either way it's a nice fantasy for an old man in Texas.

Thanks Smoke. It's also a memory for an old man in Alaska. That hunt was in 1978. My brother passed away in 1999.

Griff

I have haerd that bear is not good to eat. What evrey you do to it you are not able to get the game taste out.

just my 2 cent and have never eating are hunt bear.

I gotta buddy that hunts bear in Canada every year. Here's my take on the meat he's given me and the meat I've eaten that he's cooked. It has great flavor, but is quite lean and on the stringy side, very similar to a dry chuck roast.

All this talk about gamey taste in any wild game is generally caused by the hunter. And by the meat not being hung, aged and butchered correctly. Unless you have an area cold enough to hang your properly field dressed game for a couple days after being harvested and then the knowledge and ability to butcher the animal properly you will have "off" tastes to the meat. There should not be a gamey taste in wild game. That's my .02.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1ijkj990]Thats my problem........I don't know where to hang my meat.

Sure you could find a toothpick or would that be too big??[/quote:1ijkj990]

It works for you, doesn't it?

Larry Wolfe said:
All this talk about gamey taste in any wild game is generally caused by the hunter. And by the meat not being hung, aged and butchered correctly. Unless you have an area cold enough to hang your properly field dressed game for a couple days after being harvested and then the knowledge and ability to butcher the animal properly you will have "off" tastes to the meat. There should not be a gamey taste in wild game. That's my .02.

I agree with all what Larry said but there is one more equally important factor -- a good clean killing shot. Animals that are not cleanly killed and run for a distance acquire a "gamey" taste. Another factor, and I hesitate to mention it on this board, is whether the animal is in rut. I've learned the hard way about shooting a bull caribou in rut. On the other hand, rut stink will leave a bull moose if allowed to hang for 7 cool days. Just my $0.02.

Griff

"...rut stink..."--------------------------------just leave it alone. [-( :faint:
24.gif

Back
Top Bottom