BBQ USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kloset BBQR said:
Hey Pig,

You related to Ludichris by any chance?. I think most of the people on this board "have a clue" as you put it and still enjoy or can enjoy Raichlen's books. These are not mutually exclusive items. Don't confuse BBQ University with BBQ USA. I have enjoyed all of Raichlen's Books and believe that I still have a clue. There are many Raichlens recipes and perhaps methodologies that I might describe as YuppieQ but I think he is a very creative guy and gives Q'rs some alternatives to the Big 4 (Smoked Ribs, Butts, Brisket, and Chicken).

BBQ USA, I believe is actually a departure from his usual style of BBQ and really strives to go after the traditional regional variations across the USA and has accomplished this better than any single book that I have seen to date.

BBQ University is for rich Baby boomers that don't have a clue about BBQ and want to learn and the Greenbriar hotel is a perfect place for these people to do it in. Would I spend $5,000 for my wife and I to learn how to make a brisket, I don't think so. I would rather spend $200 on a Paul Kirk Class and spend the rest on BBQ equipment but I'm not going to criticize those that do (I'm just envious that they can). These people must think that they are getting a good return because BBQ U is sold out for the next 2 years.

I've also got Smokey Hales book as well as books from Paul Kirk, John Willingham, the Jamison's, etc. and have learned something from all of them. Keep an open mind and experiment a little and I think you'll enjoy Q a lot more.

Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now.

Oh yeah and before I forget my manners, Welcome to the Board!

You are just offended because you are a yuppie. Or, well an O-uppie!

Greg Rempe said:
Sledneck said:
I am going to paul kirks class in june and its only $200. I think just hanging with a bunch of que heads can be a wealth of info

$200 is fine and I think you will get a lot of knowledge from that kind of class...$2500 is a little much for me :!:

That reminds me, you'll get your invoice sometime this week!

Books are a great tool, I use many of them as a guide to my culinary adventures. I've got a couple of Rachlin's books. I think his grilling stuff is more true than his BBQ. My first buy was Smoke and Spice. I recomend it as the beginners book. Schlessinger, Willingham, Prudhomme, Jamieson, Kirk, Wilson,The BBQ List FAQ, and many many more, (I collect them) round out the shelves. Nothing that I have bought or aquired through information systems has served me better than my own notes to all of the cooks I have done. The information is priceless. When I'm gone someone will offer quite a penny to my kids for a copy... I garontee :^o

Good Q!

Jack

Nick Prochilo said:
Sledneck said:
I am going to paul kirks class in june and its only $200. I think just hanging with a bunch of que heads can be a wealth of info

Where is the class being given?

June 11 in Arlington VA

Kloset BBQR said:

Check out Raichlen's show on PBS on Saturday's. All of this years shows highlight receipes from the BBQ USA book. Last week he did Oklahoma Style Brisket and also cooked a rotisserie pork shoulder. I'm sure Susan caught that show, wherever she is.

Not on up here.:-(
We have this show though... http://www.barbecueamerica.com/index.cfm
On Mondays at 12:30.
I just spotted it last week, and set the DVR.

Rob D. said:
[quote="Niagara River Smoker":3cfy1wo7]I don't have BBQ USA, but I have "How to Grill" and "Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades". They're pretty good too.

Kirk's book rocks the house! His BBQ book is pretty good too...

Rob

Oops, I thought you meant Kirk's book :) #-o[/quote:3cfy1wo7]
Got that one, too! :grin:

Chris Finney said:
Larry, I don't have that one. I do have How to Grill, and I think it is a great book. I not a Steve fan either but that book made me want to buy others from him. I like him a lot better in a book than on TV.

Somebody gave me The BBQ Bible. I was not enthralled. Actually, very little about BBQ. Seemed to be mostly grilling.

Woodman said:
Chris Finney said:
Larry, I don't have that one. I do have How to Grill, and I think it is a great book. I not a Steve fan either but that book made me want to buy others from him. I like him a lot better in a book than on TV.

Somebody gave me The BBQ Bible. I was not enthralled. Actually, very little about BBQ. Seemed to be mostly grilling.
Send it to me Woodie. I like free books. :!:

I have BBQ USA and like it. It beats the crap out of the old BBQ USSR. Only has 3 recipes in it. Potato, cabbage and boot. :^o

Back
Top Bottom