BBQ on cold day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I just checked my turkey after 3 hours and it's at 160º in the breast and thigh, I spatchcocked it. I'm cooking on my UDS and I decided to do just a little temperature mapping while I was cooking, and I just found that I've got a 50º temperature difference from the center of the smoker to the outside. Is this cold weather related or just a normal variance? My Pit thermometer has a 3-4 inch probe if that makes any difference.

There is a lot of convection going on in a uds. It is common for mine to have a big temp difference from lid to grate. Side to center will vary also.

At some point the temps will even out for a while. Don't know why. It just does it.

I tend to measure dome temps more than anything.

Ok, I'll have to add a thermometer to the lid and see what i find there.

Well just do the Missippiis on the lid that should work. I forgot to do that today and come close to having some turkey jerky till it finally dawned on me the pit was not as warm as it normally was. Brisk N. Wind and fairly low temps drug it down. Finally added the shielding bucket to finish. Everything was grand prize winning quality as usual.

bigwheel

So you have a bucket that acts as a diffuser, like a WSM or just a dry bucket? I remember reading somewhere of guy uses a terracotta pot tray as a diffuser, I just can't remember where I saw that at.

Anyways' here are the photo's of my cook today, despite cooking it in three hours it came out very nice. I really love the taste the UDS is producing, I just need a lot more practice to learn how to cook on it. I'll get there though.
img_229653_0_7b2a73644354123fd4251f97351d3f37.jpg

I spatchcocked it out, injected with Cajun Injectors Roasted Garlic and Herb, then rubbed it down with Three Little Pigs; I cooked over blue bag with wild cherry for flavor.
img_229653_1_4a4346c9c3bf1c96b9cdc68370668564.jpg

img_229653_2_3a64f5f3e8feca839f92f8b871bb2194.jpg

i loved it! it cooked very even, had great flavor, and was plenty juicy. I'm sure I will be repeating it.

This is a cold day. The small WSM has no cover on it because it was still warm when we went to bed Wednesday night. It snowed all day Thanksgiving.

[attachment=0:2qmtnkdb]c (Medium).JPG[/attachment:2qmtnkdb]

Ive been sayen that for years. If you outer thermometer shows 250 it's actually 290-300 at the center of the grate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom