BBQ Guru

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Cruise...why not get to know the WSM a little longer...ou might find there is no need for the GURU at all... :!:

Of course the peeps that have them really like them. Just my $0.02

Greg Rempe said:
Cruise...why not get to know the WSM a little longer...ou might find there is no need for the GURU at all... :!:

Of course the peeps that have them really like them. Just my $0.02

I agree with Greg on this 100%. Get to know the cooker a bit better before you fork out more money than the cooker cost in the first place. The more you cook on the WSM the more familiar you will become with how it operates and holds temps. The key is being patient. The less you worry about minimal temperature fluctuations the better your cooks will go. Pick two temps, a high and a low and just worry about keeping your temps in between that range. Do not worry about keeping it at an exact temperature or you will drive yourself crazy. Make your adjustments to the vents as minimal as possible, then wait about 20 minutes and see how it effected your cooker then make any other necessary adjustments. Just be patient and you will be much happier and less stressed.

Cruising said:
I use the maverick and last night had the range of 205 to 221. It actually was fine for 6 to 7 hours. I was thinking of the Guru for the long cooks where
the temp dies down.

I use the WSM and see if I can get used to how to work through that and
then decide.

Thanks to everyone.

Cruising,
Not sure where you are measuring your temps. FYI, if you are measuring them at the dome vent you are actually cooking at about 15* less at the top grate. (ie., if your dome temp says 250*, you are cooking at the top grate at approx. 235*)

Forget the grate clip and just let the probe hang in the hole of the top vent. If you get a good amount of meat in the cooker and put the probe between them, you will not get an accurate/true temp. You want the pit probe away from the meat IMO.

Back
Top Bottom