BB Rib help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbo342000

Assistant Cook
Just finished my very first rib cook.
Got some BB's from Sams
Came 3 racks in a pack. It's just me and my wife some after removing the membrane and some minor trimming I split them into half racks. I put 3 in the freezer for future use.
The reason for cutting them in half is cuz my wife will only eat half a rack and I wanted everything about the same size for even cooking.
So I made a dry rub (KC low salt) that I found on here and rubbed them down. I let the sit for about an hour while I fired up the grill
I started off with a good amount of charcoal and after everything was stable around 240 degrees I through on some hickory and some apple wood that I soak for about 30 minutes.
I used the 3-2-1 method that I read about on here and basted the ribs with apple juice once an hour.
After 3 hours of smoke, I basted with apple juice and wrapped in foil. Cooked for another 2 hours and when I went to remove the foil the ribs were Already done/burnt.
Don't get me wrong. They were edible, at least 2 of 3 were.
1 turned out petrified, the other 2 were a little dried out/overdone.
On the good side, the taste was great, and they did fall off the bone.
So for my first time doing it, I would rare this a small success.
I have 3 more half racks in the freezer and as soon as I do some homework I will give it another try.
Any advice/feedback you all could give would be great.
Sorry about no pics., having trouble posting those at the moment. I will try to figure it out.

Actually no.
I have an offset smoker. Not possible to put them direct. Maybe my temp is too high? Gage was reading between 225 and 250 the me hole time. But it is located at the top of the chamber. I made the assumption that if it was 250 at the thermometer then it would at least be less than that at the cooking surface.

Actually no.
I have an offset smoker. Not possible to put them direct. Maybe my temp is too high? Gage was reading between 225 and 250 the me hole time. But it is located at the top of the chamber. I made the assumption that if it was 250 at the thermometer then it would at least be less than that at the cooking surface.

Sorry man I just cooked 6 racks yesterday and thought I over cooked them.

first things first get another temp gauge to check your temps as they go bad all the time!!

BB ribs can be extremely lean and will cook very fast depending on the fat/meat ratio.

250 is too high for that timeline hands down!!!....

200-225 at the highest temp for 3 hours then go to foil and maintain 180 -200 for the remaining time.

What!? 3-2-1 method failed you? Impossible! that shit's tried and true! If only some smart guy with a steady hand could figure out some way to cook ribs to a certain temp, so that they come out perfect every time...

Sorry man I just cooked 6 racks yesterday and thought I over cooked them.

first things first get another temp gauge to check your temps as they go bad all the time!!

BB ribs can be extremely lean and will cook very fast depending on the fat/meat ratio.

250 is too high for that timeline hands down!!!....

200-225 at the highest temp for 3 hours then go to foil and maintain 180 -200 for the remaining time.

Thanks Bosko
Digital thermometer is on the list for next upgrade (before next cook)
Should I adjust any more due I am cooking half racks?

Thanks Bosko
Digital thermometer is on the list for next upgrade (before next cook)
Should I adjust any more due I am cooking half racks?

I honestly would, you would think in theory it would not make a difference cooking 1/2 racks instead of a whole rack but it does!

Surface area is so much smaller and the heat will cook a smaller foot print faster then a large one...

Spring based thermometers can vary up to 50 degrees get ya a good one for peace of mind....

Yes..forget the apple juice basting thing. Some krewlish yankee thought that up to play tricks on folks. Meat side down till they are done..wrap in foil and into the hot box for at least an hour. Steenken gauges are not needed. They are done when you can yank them apart in the middle. Halving the racks is not a good plan. They need to lay out flat in an ideal world.

Yes..forget the apple juice basting thing. Some krewlish yankee thought that up to play tricks on folks. Meat side down till they are done..wrap in foil and into the hot box for at least an hour. Steenken gauges are not needed. They are done when you can yank them apart in the middle. Halving the racks is not a good plan. They need to lay out flat in an ideal world.

That's pretty much it.

2-1-1 Works for BB

Thanks Nick
My friend at work just told me the same thing today.
Makes sense since I thought they were pretty done after 3 hours.
Also I know I have a temp balance issue.
First big mod is a tuning plate / baffle to even out the temp in the cooking chamber.
Thanks all for your advice. It's been very helpful and I will post up my next cook results.

Back
Top Bottom