Bark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolinaQue

Senior Cook
Are you using regular white sugar in your rub? If so, that could be where some of the bitterness is coming from. I personally prefer turbinado sugar for rubs. It really helps make a great bark also. Bitterness could also be from the type of wood or age of the wood that you are using.

Tim

Green wood will be bitter as stated...

Also "Pignut Hickory" will impart a bitter flavour also
dry or green.
There are several species of Hickory.

Try doin the majority of your fire with Oak wood
and just throwing some Hickory on from time to time.

I'm thinking you just have TOO MUCH Hickory imparted
into the food.....
Same thing happens if you use just straight Apple wood.

You're local Walmart or grocery should carry Turbinado Sugar. It's also known as Sugar in the Raw.

Tim

Re: bark

BRICH said:
I am using both white and brown sugar. Do i replace the just the white sugar or both and if so is it the turbinado sugar equal to the white sugar?

Bitterness can be from an inefficient "smoldering" fire, green wood and/or from the sugar burning.

Sugar does not burn until it exceeds 350* then the sugar begins to burn and develops a bitter, burnt taste. If you are smoking in the 225*-275* chances are the bitterness is not coming from the sugar, but from a smoldering fire or green wood.

As far as the sugars go......Turbinado sugar is a minimally processed "Raw Cane Sugar". White sugar is highly refined beet or cane sugar. Brown sugar is simply white sugar with molasses added. (dark brown sugar has more molasses than light)

What you cooking on birch?
It could either be wood that isn't properly seasoned (as others have mentioned), too much smoke, or a fire that isn't burning clean.

It could also be some ingredient in your rub. Garlic or onion can get bitter if you use too much. So could paprika depending on how much and what kind.

Sugar and salt in rubs help the bark form. Turbinado will be better than plain white.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom