Barbecue is Barbecue, Grilling is Grilling..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Hey folks we've gotten away from the categories here
at BBQCentral.

I'm sure everyone knows the difference between bbq and grilling.
And if it's made in the oven, it should go in the General section.

No biggie, but let's get it right.

Thanks.

Well there is grilling then there is direct bbq cooking..which is simply slow grilling. Think it has to do mainly with the speed of the operation, distance twixt the fire and meat etc. So in certain cases think it hard to differentiate the two processes. Somebody needs to be in charge of sorting all this stuff out.

bigwheel

Since the 1950s, the USDA has required that all products so labeled must use meat cooked to 70 percent of its original weight, with the lost fat and moisture eventually combined with sauce and sold as a canned or frozen product. This is no longer true.

Leaner meats produced today means less weight loss. But the direct/indirect argument is moot.
Classic bbq was cooked direct over coals. Most modern bbq is indirect.

However, I think it's pretty simple to tell which is cooked low and slow with smoke, and
which is cooked hot and fast, and what is cooked in a crock pot.

Well some of the reputed best bbq in Tejas comes from Coopers in Llano which aint nothing real slow or low about it. They go about an hour per pound direct over coals for brisket anyway. Then they loosely wrap in foil reduce the heat and let it swelter till it dies and gives up. Now aint ate there personally so some of this may be just rumors. Now they do supposed to use small briskets which a person could cook a 7-9 pound steak in a shorter time frame most likely. Whuts a Mother to do?

bigwheel

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well some of the reputed best bbq in Tejas comes from Coopers in Llano which aint nothing real slow or low about it. They go about an hour per pound direct over coals for brisket anyway. Then they loosely wrap in foil reduce the heat and let it swelter till it dies and gives up. Now aint ate there personally so some of this may be just rumors. Now they do supposed to use small briskets which a person could cook a 7-9 pound steak in a shorter time frame most likely. Whuts a Mother to do?

bigwheel

bigwheel

and Myron Mixon famously cooks "hot and fast".

Seriously....in this forum, do we need an official definition?

It's either bbq, grilled or baked steamed...let's keep smoked
foods here.

Ok you win. Your the one with the steenken badge and the bullet in the shirt pocket. My Daddy always taught me it wasn't smart to mess with the Po Po's:)

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Since the 1950s, the USDA has required that all products so labeled must use meat cooked to 70 percent of its original weight, with the lost fat and moisture eventually combined with sauce and sold as a canned or frozen product. This is no longer true.

Leaner meats produced today means less weight loss. But the direct/indirect argument is moot.
Classic bbq was cooked direct over coals. Most modern bbq is indirect.

However, I think it's pretty simple to tell which is cooked low and slow with smoke, and
which is cooked hot and fast, and what is cooked in a crock pot.

Hey Sarge N cappy read this Boys!...............:::;;;
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/201 ... rgers.html

Great read Boy! Thanks for sharing the link. Course I already knew all that stuff and could tell the author was anal when he start talking about grinding your own meat and poking patties with a gauge. Who got time for that kinda nonsense? Now he is full o caca about the flipping being good. I will take the po misguided young man under my wing one of these days. Get him edumacated etc. Now the anal stuff is harder to cure. In real life they grow up and pose as injuneers.

bigwheel

Well I have searched high and low and I can't figger out which sub group to which this thread should be most propaly categorized. I can't even figger out whut sub group I am in as we speak. Thanks.

bigwheel

I just want to give my opinion on what BBQ is. BBQ is low and slow..it is fire and coal..it is wood and smoke..it is patience and love..if you missed any of this please rebuild..remake..start over...we love you, and we will wait :)

Hmmm,
Well, Two of the guys this weekend at the Que and Cruz were smoking / cooking between 300 and 325. They kicked my but in the scores and finished in the top three in some catagories. No where in the KCBS rules (that I can think of) does it say what temp it has to be cooked at, nor for how long.

-Chiles

Back
Top Bottom