Baltimore Pit Beef ...does anyone know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
how they do it?
When I lived near Baltimore, many fund raisers were billed as a 'bull roast'. From what I recall they used concrete forms to make a big pit, put in some charcoal and let it burn. They would 'roast' large hunks of meat, which ususally had rods about 1/3, 2/3 the way down to hold the meat above the pit and so it could get turned. It ususally took 2 people to handle the big hunks.

My questions are: What cut was it? a whole round? A whole top round? a whole bottom round?
what temp were the pits? do they do it low and slow? or is it higher then that? 400-500?

I remember that the meat came out with a nice bark (great burnt ends) but the middle was rare. They ususally used electric slicers to cut the meat for sammy's.

anyone do this or see this done? St Marys HS AA (Annapolis) used to cater alot of events and did this, but I;ve lost my connections to ask them.

Any thoughts appreicated!! ( I may have asked this yesterday, but don't see the post, sorry if it is redundant)

I will use the search function to find the Baltimore pit beef recipe. If that dont work plug the phrase into goggle. It aint worth a *hit. Not sure why anybody want to make it..but then I never raised any any yankees so they could think different than you and I.

bigwheel

Use the search here and enter Pit Beef.

Typically it is a top round cust about 2-3" thick that is grilled direct. Sliced thin against the grain and then piled high on a kaiser roll. Topped with horseradish sauce, tomato, lettuce and onion (or none of that if you prefer) :LOL:

sluggo said:
how they do it?
When I lived near Baltimore, many fund raisers were billed as a 'bull roast'. From what I recall they used concrete forms to make a big pit, put in some charcoal and let it burn. They would 'roast' large hunks of meat, which ususally had rods about 1/3, 2/3 the way down to hold the meat above the pit and so it could get turned. It ususally took 2 people to handle the big hunks.

anyone do this or see this done? St Marys HS AA (Annapolis) used to cater alot of events and did this, but I;ve lost my connections to ask them.

Any thoughts appreicated!! ( I may have asked this yesterday, but don't see the post, sorry if it is redundant)

A couple of years ago our church had a beef bbq. The guy who ran it had a "pit" made out of sheet steel - just a 4-sided box that sat on the gravel in a parking lot. He cooked large beef roasts that were skewered on two long stainless steel rods - several roasts on each set of rods. The rods then were laid across the top of the metal box, so the meat was about 3 feet above the level of the coals. We lit charcoal in a separate pit (made from a few concrete blocks) and shoveled it into the cooking pit as needed. Every so often we turned the meat by picking up the two rods and flipping them over. I don't know what cut of meat he cooked - I was basically just a gofer that ran errands. I would say this was "low and slow" because it did take several hours to cook. The results were pretty good - I pigged out, and got to take home some of the leftovers since I was on the cooking crew.

I know thats right Cappy. Person gonna need a commercial slicer to get it thin enough to make that pit beef tender enough to eat. When you can read a newspaper through one of the slices thats about right.

bighweel

thanks guys!!

thanks guys!!
I did an internet search and found the NY times article as well, but then I thought I'd ask here because I know you guys are pros and serious about this stuff, plus I've always gotten good tips here in the past!!

Larry Wolfe- thanks, looks like for home I may try it that way. I thought about using the rotaisarre (sp?) on my grill as well,, with the temp 300-400.

Larry D- this is exactly what I remember the 'bull roasts' in Baltimore doing. I'd like to try it for a big crowd, but don't really know what cut they were ordering. I do remember they had commercial slicer's but they were taking the meat right from the pit and slicing it, no time in the cooler from what I saw.

Well if they using the cut of meat they supposed to be using it would be top round. Only batch I ever made all that was available in my ballick was was bottom round. Had some nice little gristle lines running through it but it tasted purty good once it got sliced propaly. Ya know we did a blind taste test on the stuff at the store where they cut it up..and the judges unamius decision..the stuff tasted mo betta cold than hot. Wonder whut cuz something like that? They got the CAB version on sale at Tom Thumb for 1.49 but biggest I seen was 5 or 6 lbs. I think you supposed to cook a whole one. Seemed like that one I got was about 12. Big sale Starting Sunday will be T-bones and ribeyes for 3.99. Not choice grade but fairly close. It some kinda store grade they call Ranchers Reserve. Claim it would be select but they hang it a long time...blah blah blah.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
It some kinda store grade they call Ranchers Reserve. Claim it would be select but they hang it a long time...blah blah blah.

bigwheel

Would this store be "Safeway"?

The Safeway in my town sells "Ranchers Reserve"

I tried to explain to my wife that Ranchers Reserve was a make believe grade of beef. If it was really "Choice" they would call it USDA Choice Beef. I might as well been speaking Chinese to her. :(

Yeppers...Still got a sign on it that says Tom Thumb but its owned by Safeway and its full of their products. Lucerne milk etc.

bigwheel

Cocophone said:
bigwheel said:
It some kinda store grade they call Ranchers Reserve. Claim it would be select but they hang it a long time...blah blah blah.

bigwheel

Would this store be "Safeway"?

The Safeway in my town sells "Ranchers Reserve"

I tried to explain to my wife that Ranchers Reserve was a make believe grade of beef. If it was really "Choice" they would call it USDA Choice Beef. I might as well been speaking Chinese to her. :(
\

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: gotta love that glazed over look as you try to explain something

Back
Top Bottom