badly rusted cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyReb

Senior Cook
i recently came across a badly rusted cast iron dutch oven/stockpot that has alot of rust...can i re-season it or is it not worth the trouble?

thanks very much cruising...it seems the sweat and tears method is the best :(

No mater what method you use, It's still a PITA. But worth it. I have way too much cast iron cookware on my hands only because my wife or I can't pass up that lonely pan or pot at a garage sale for .50 cents to 2.00 dollars. It bothers me when I hear " My grand ma used to cook us breakfast on this pan" Stupid people have no clue what there selling along with memories. :-(

i agree, the pot was my grandparents and i fondly remember a hog cooking every summer...i want to give this pot a new life :!:
that is all i have left of them to remember..sad isnt it ?

1044 said:
But, look at it this way, you are doing them a service. You are helping make their kitchen less cluttered, and giving them a little cash for doing it. Now, ain't that a good thang? =D> =D> =D>

heh well i guess their house is very "un-cluttered" heh as it is very confined and a couple a feet under

Susan Z said:
Naval jelly, baby! Then reseason and yer good to go.
I highly disagree! Cast is porous. I would never use such a harsh chemical on any thing is was going to cook food in or on. Ever clean cast with dish soap? Takes for ever to get that smell and taste out. Let alone the trips to the bathroom because you have the shits from the soap. Been there, Done that. I have the luxury of having a friend who rebuilds appliances. A trip in the oven on self clean works wonders. You can do it at home as long as you have all the windows open and a few good fans.

PRESERVE THE TRADITION! I remember when my mom gave me her cast iron frying pan a couple of years ago...I hardly have to season it at all. Don't know how old it is (mom has Alzheimers) but I love it. It's just about the only pan I use.

Back
Top Bottom