Bacon Triads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmokingDude

Assistant Cook
Tonight, I made these little bundles of awesome. Bacon wrapped chicken thighs, stuffed with cheese and ham. I don't know if this has a more common name, but my wife thought that "Meat Wrapped Meat stuffed with Meat" didn't really have a nice ring to it...so "Bacon triads" it is!

This is too much ham, next time I'll halve that.
800px-Bacon_triads_002.jpg

All wrapped up and ready for the Traeger:
800px-Bacon_triads_005.jpg

See you in 2 hours!
800px-Bacon_triads_006.jpg

The smell was fantastic
800px-Bacon_triads_007.jpg

The cheese held its shape nicely
800px-Bacon_triads_008.jpg

Asparagus for "balance"
800px-Bacon_triads_009.jpg

They tasted fantastic!! The kids ate them too! The leftover smell terrific, and I have been instructed to bring leftovers to work tomorrow.

Full recipe is here: http://www.eatapedia.com/index.php/Bacon_triads

Skin on or skin off the chicken?

What kind of Cheese do you recommend instead of cheese curd?

Looks fantastic !!!

Thanks, everyone! I brought some into work today and was asked if they were gonads of some sort! Hahaha...I don't know, but if balls smelled and tasted this good, I might change teams! OK, not really. ;-)

Skin was off, and if you can't get curds, I would try any kind of cheese that wont get all runny and ooze out...maybe a brie or gouda? I would try these with brie and cranberry...maybe spinach instead of cheese...I'll try a few variations. I might even craft up a video of the effort.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!!

I made some Triads/Gonads last night. Ran out of bacon. Used some Smoked Gouda for the cheese. Not bad. Unfortunately the Napoleon flared up and had to finish them in the oven. But they were good. I put some Wolfe Rub Bold inside the chicken layer.

Hey BeeRich, how did the gouda hold up? Would you try another cheese next time?

I'm hoping to get some beef ribs for tomorrow, and a shoulder on Sunday...my freezer is empty of leftover pulled pork!! Ack!!

ps - awesome avatar...damn, I'm thirsty!! My buddy and I had a "Hurricane" at Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans about 13 years ago that was that size! Of course, we had no shortage of lovely ladies to help us drink it!

Interesting you asked me that. I was just thinking that as I came back to the forum. The cheese was more about texture, as there's a lot of flavour going on here. I would try something stronger, like a strong Cheddar. It did melt a bit, so picking something that can maintain its integrity is definitely the way to go.

Also, pick some thighs that are large enough to wrap. I bought 2 packages of 6 thighs, skinless, boneless. Man are they expensive! I could have bought 3 whole chickens for that. That's why I bought my new chest freezer ($50, used). You can get cheap hind quarters and whole chickens, then get a good pairing knife and go to town. Excellent way to save money. Furthermore, I'd get Capon thighs, which are larger.

Sorry, no pics this time around. I'll get some pics next time. I might start trying something with chicken breasts. Thighs are dark meat and have a lot of flavour.

To experiment some more, I'd like to get a Peameal Bacon loin, butterfly it or filet the bugger, and toss some beef in there, or some venison, then smoke it. For those that aren't familiar with Canadian terms, this is a Peameal Bacon:

cornmeal_1.jpg

I was considering boneless, skinless thighs, but your post confirmed my suspicions re pricing. I paid ~$6 for 9 thighs, and it took me an hour to prep them...that includes the deboning and stuffing, the whole thing. I'm OK with that!

I did exactly what you recommended: Used a very sharp pairing knife. I have to work on my technique, mind you. ;-) Once you clean and skin them, there is no better chicken meat, IMO...I've made those "muffin tin" thighs that Myron Mixon makes (http://www.eatapedia.com/index.php/Myron's_chicken_balls, and they are fantastic...so it looks like I'll be getting lots of practice at deboning thighs!!

Woah, that sounds like a helluva plan! Peameal Bacon (or "Canadian Bacon" as our friends to the south call it), stuffed with beef or venison? Hmmm...I wonder what herbs you'd use that compliment both the red meat and the ham? Rosemary for starters...hmmm...you may be on to something there!

I didn't know they call it that too, I see them on Coronation Street eating it all the time, referring to it as "bacon".

OK, enough talk about food, I'm going to the butcher's to do something about it!! ;-)

I just watched your brisket video..FANTASTIC smoke ring on that!! I'm thinking of adding a WSM to my lineup this summer...cheaper than a BGE!!

In Edinburgh where I lived for a year, it was always Canadian Bacon. Our term for bacon is the strip kind. I already hit two butchers this morning. WSM is a great tool.

TheSmokingDude said:
Thanks, everyone! I brought some into work today and was asked if they were gonads of some sort! Hahaha...I don't know, but if balls smelled and tasted this good, I might change teams! OK, not really. ;-)

Okay, that's wierd!

The food looked great!

Back
Top Bottom