Bacon & Pastrami cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blade1

Cook
I've got a pork loin that has been curing(buckboard) since 4/2 and I've got a psuedo pastrami, both soaking. I'm planning on doing them both tomorrow on my WSM.

The pork I'm doing to do as is. I was going to put maple syrup on it, but I'll wait 'til next time. The pastrami will be rubbed w/ pepper and others.

I'm planning on using lump, hickory chunks and sand/pan and cooking as low as possible for the bacon (225-250). From what I've read, the bacon goes to 140 and the pastrami goes to 165. Wrap in hd foil and rest for 1-2 hours.

Am I forgetting anything or am I'm doing anything wrong?

Thanks guys.
AJ

IMO you might not want to wrap it while it rests. At least the bacon. Let it sit exposed to the air for an hour or two its called Blooming you will get a nice dark brown color which is what my current batch of bacon may be lacking. The recipe I have for Pastrami calls for an internal temp of 175-180* but it’s probably smoked at a lower temp than what you are planning. Just my 2cents. Did you use Brisket or Beef plates for the Pastrami?

The bacon was wrapped in foil. I'll try letting it bloom with my next batch. Thanks for the tip. I had some of the bacon this morning for b'fast. It was good, but I have to perfect cooking it properly. I used butter in the pan because the was almost no fat in the loin. I just have to not cook it as long.

The Pastrami was one of those corned beefs in a package. I soaked it for 2 days. I have a brisket flat that I'm going to use next time. Cooked to 167. I had some pastrami for lunch, today. Very tasty, wife liked it, but she said there was too much pepper. Wife wouldn't know good food if she tripped over it.

Sorry Chris, no pix. I forgot.

No pics? Fat starts to melt at 190-200 * If you can keep a low enough temp in the smoker(Which I couldn’t in my BBQ rig see saved my bacon post) the fat will stay in the loin and not run into your drip pan and you will have moister meat. When I do stuff in my Electric Smokehouse there is no fat that drips out of the meat. Even a lean loin will be nice and juicy. I posted a brine recipe for buck board and for Canadian Bacon you might want to check out. The lower temps will give you a nice color and prevent the fat from running out of the meat. I haven’t done the buckboard but when I do I’m going to do it at lower temp then 200*. Just MO. I have similar problems with my wife, she likes sweet and I like hot. That pastrami sounds good nice and peppery. One more thing to put on my list of things to do. The price of that stuff in the stores is crazy down here. Like 7-8 $ a pound. Much cheaper to make and probably better quality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom