Back in the Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute the adoption is back on more bark for me. :grin: =D> I was just having fun with you Allison..Jokers right it's all about what you like.

Oh, don't worry - I am secure in my dislike of bark. Almost all of my friends are male (and most have more loyalty to my husband than to me), so I am used to my fair share of ribbing. But, alas, I don't know if an adoption is possible. I tend to take in entire units, and I know you have a wife and I think some kiddos. When you combine that with our 3 dogs (boxer, lab, and beagle) and 5 cats, that could be a full house!! :!:

Okay, it's 9:40pm... Cliff should be tasting the meat right about now...

Looks pretty darn good to me! =P~ Couldn't get a large version of the 1st pic for some reason..

Cliff nice looking brisket! If it tasted as good as it looked you were a lucky man! Great job! =D>

The brisket was very tender. I was not real happy with the overall flavor. The night before, I gave it a mustard slather, a very light dusting of Wolfe rub and a very heavy coating of Strawberry's bbq seasoning. This rub had a taco seasoning smell to it and I questioned using it but I decided to go ahead since there were huge displays of it in every grocery store in town.

I was out of Tex-Joy or there would not have been an issue. I should have just used Straight Wolfe rub but I did not want to use a whole bottle on something that I wasn't sure about, plus we use Wolfe rub on EVERYTHING. The root beer helped me decide when to foil because it started browning a little faster. I can't tell that it added anything. I don't think beer really adds anything either. The bark did not have a well defined flavor.

Next time I am going to do something with worsty sauce. I may inject. That is were I had issues with this cook. It compared to eating baked turkey and then eating injected deep fried turkey. You know what I mean ? The meat itself was tender and juicy but it didn't have much flavor other than what eight hours of hickory smoke pumped into it.

As far as the method goes, I liked the ease of operation with the pan. Pulling drippings out with a turkey baster was great. Having the fat side up for most of the cook meant no bark on the meat side. If I use this method again I may finish fat side down.

I think seperating the point and trimming it up some ahead of time might be a better option also. I had to wrestle with the point and remove the fat with one of those big silicone gloves on one hand. It would have been nice just to rest and slice.

Overall it was worth it. I have never, let me rephrase that NEVER smoked a good tender brisket. It has always been hit and miss. I almost always left the brisket cooking to my dad. I could never seem to get them right.

This site and you kind folks have helped me to be a better cook and I thank you.

Sorry you didn't like the flavor (or the lack thereof). But if a rub smelled like chili powder to me, I don't think I would like it on my brisket. My favorite is the generic Adams brisket rub. We tried a new "texas rub" on one of the briskets this time. I am hesitant because I could see black pepper in it and that is my big no-no. Hubby said that you couldn't taste the pepper, but we'll have to see.

Tonight we are having the brisket from this weekend. I've already got the foodsaver bags moved down to the fridge so that they will be ready to pop in some boiling water when I get off work. I took out a bag of each, so I will really get to decide if I like the other rub.

I am glad, at least, that your brisket turned out tender and that you were able to save some of the juice with the baster.

Glad to hear that the cook went well. I enjoyed following your progress on the cook. We like the Dallas Dandy Brisket rec in Smoke and Spice it is marinaded overnight and then you rub it. If your interested in the recipe let me know. I know what you mean about the turkey thing I don't even care for the oven turkey anymore.

Well, I think you learned a ton ~ I know I did. Glad the cook went well albeit long and sorry we kinda trashed your thread.. :)

The Joker said:
Well, I think you learned a ton ~ I know I did. Glad the cook went well albeit long and sorry we kinda trashed your thread.. :)
I don't know if we trashed your thread if we did I apologize. I like it when my threads turn in to one like this. It makes me feel more connected. Like a bunch of friends sitting around a pit killing time, and having a good time till it’s time to eat. Just my .02 It was the hot topic for yesterday.

Thanks ya'll. I don't think the thread got trashed Joker. I am amazed that people really enjoy bbq so much that they will stay with someone they don't know ALL DAY via the internet and watch them bbq.

I am also amazed that there were about 6-8 people talking on this thread and almost 1000 people tuned in. :eek:

I agree. My husband told me to stop chatting last night. I told him I wasn't in a chat room, I was on a message board. He said, well, the way you keep replying, you might as well be in a chat room. I told him I would just need to get him a user ID so he could 'chat' as well, to which he rolled his eyes. Internet communication is still 'weird' to him.

Cliff H. said:
Thanks ya'll. I don't think the thread got trashed Joker. I am amazed that people really enjoy bbq so much that they will stay with someone they don't know ALL DAY via the internet and watch them bbq.

I am also amazed that there were about 6-8 people talking on this thread and almost 1000 people tuned in. :eek:
That is really cool.
And as far as we....Round up the usually suspects......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom