Back in the Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya go Cliff.
I've got two pieces of angle iron laying across and just above the
ash drawer enough to allow the drawer to be pulled out without
disturbing the coals. You also could use a flat grate of 3/4" expanded
metal instead of a basket.

Thanks for the pics Pappy. I see you did away with the small fire grate that comes with the Chargriller.

Allison,
I didn't really peak to much. I dealt with the fire a lot. After 9 hrs the brisket was up to 161 so I foiled it. Now I will see if I can't get r done.

Sounds good. I'm headed out the door in about 10 minutes, but I will be anxious to check back in tonight or tomorrow and hear how it turned out.

(For anyone that doesn't know this method - I can't remember what thread I wrote about it in.)
Don't forget to save those juices. We normally use a turkey baster to suck most of them out before we try to lift off the smoker. Put into glass jars and let cool to room temperature. After a few hours in the fridge, all of the fat will have come to the top. Poke two holes in the fat (I used a thin knife and just spun it around and lifted out to remove the cylinder of fat. Then, you can pour just the dripping out the one hole (vent through the other hole) and leave the nasty fat in the jar. We love to take store bought bbq sauce and mix it with some drippings - adds a ton of flavor. If you can't wait for the fat to solidify, just let the dripping set while the brisket is resting. You should then be able to use the baster to suck the drippings off the bottom of the jar and not disturb the fat floating on top too much.

Hope all goes well - it sure looks good.

Well it is now the 10 hr mark. The brisket has just reached 165 deg. pit is at 230-240 deg. I have no idea how long this is going to take. !! :!:

Cliff H. said:
11th hr update. Brisket at 178 deg. Pit at 250 deg.

Sounds like an almost perfect cook Cliff!!! Briskets tend to take 1-1.5 hrs per lb normally!! The important thing with briskets especially is to let it rest for a couple hours before slicing! Looking forward to the finished pic's!

Puff said:
Man,7 pages later :eek: ,
Is that bad boy done yet? 8-[
While you were breathing in dry wall dust the rest of us were having a pleasent discussion. :razz: Cliff had the hot topic of the day =D>

Cliff H. said:
This brisket is wearing me out. What would be the lowest temp to pull and rest?
You could probably get away with it now. Or you could switch to just charcoal.......pile it up unlit in a U shape and adjust the dampers so it does a slow burn.....You could get a few hrs of not much babysitting......
How acurate is your therm?

Wood won't be an option in another hour. I am about out of hickory. Good thing I am going home to visit family in August so I can load up again.

Cliff H. said:
Wood won't be an option in another hour. I am about out of hickory. Good thing I am going home to visit family in August so I can load up again.
One draw back on a SFB is they are fuel pigs. I tend to use wood the first few hours and then switch to lump. Wood is hard for me to get but I can get 40lb bags of Hump lump cheap. One of the guys at work, (the guy I did the wild hog butt for just brought me 4 nice size pieces of cherry wood that I have to split)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom