Back in the Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
allisonandrews said:
LOL. I've actually used Dr. Pepper before on stuff that called for beer when I was cooking around my parents. They know there is a difference between cooking with it and drinking it, but to be considerate, I don't bring any beer to their house. (I had plenty of it out there when I was living there, though!)

Ive seen recipes using Dr Pepper with briskets....How'd it turn out??

I've just done it with chicken (beer can chicken). Actually, I think we may have done it with steaks as well. I can't remember if we ever did it on the briskets - if we did, it would have been on the old smoker where we kept the briskets foiled the entire time. I would think you would want to be careful not to let the sugar burn and get bitter. You might consider foiling after you get some carmelization going.

allisonandrews said:
I've just done it with chicken (beer can chicken). Actually, I think we may have done it with steaks as well. I can't remember if we ever did it on the briskets - if we did, it would have been on the old smoker where we kept the briskets foiled the entire time. I would think you would want to be careful not to let the sugar burn and get bitter. You might consider foiling after you get some carmelization going.

Well I don't know how partial I would be to using root beer or dr pepper with foods...honestly I haven't really cooked much with soda....

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:

Down here, we use Dr. Pepper in everything. My home address when I was growing up was Dublin, TX - where they still have the old manufacturing plant that uses real sugar instead of syrup. You can really tell the difference between a Dublin Dr. Pepper and a normal one. You get spoiled.

Cliff H. said:
Isn't working and being here at the same time kinda like driving and talking on a cell phone? :grin:

I have a U shaped desk. Work in on one side, the computer on one side, and well junk at the moment on the other side. Depending on which way I have spun my chair, that is what I concentrate on.

Now, if I weren't checking this page between each student, I probably would be done with them by now. Oh, well, just 4 more left...

allisonandrews said:
Man's Best Friend BBQ said:

Down here, we use Dr. Pepper in everything. My home address when I was growing up was Dublin, TX - where they still have the old manufacturing plant that uses real sugar instead of syrup. You can really tell the difference between a Dublin Dr. Pepper and a normal one. You get spoiled.

Never been much of a dr pepper fan to begin with. I know there are people that only drink dr pepper. wasn't dr pepper made with raisins or something??

Well I gotta run if I’m lucky I’ll get 3 hrs before I have to go in tonight……Cliff I hope your cook goes well and I’ll be looking forward to reading the updates. :night:

It's making my crackers I'm eating right now and the Lean Cuisine I had for lunch look pretty pathetic. Spagetti is on tonight's menu, but I think we may have to reheat some brisket tomorrow.

8 hr update. brisket at 156 deg. I covered the brisket while I dumped the ashes. I have to do a mod for that. Pappy, help me out!!!!
I then uncovered for a little more browning.

Isn't it weird how briskets (and other meats) take different times to reach different temps even when smokers are supposedly reading about the same temps. By hour 6, I was already up to 160 and at hour 9, I was at 193 degrees. That is typical of our smoker running at 225 degrees using wood alone as fuel.

Are you opening the door too often or anything and letting the chamber temp drop? We open at hours: 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. Basically, every two hours until hour six and then once every hour after that - normally because we have other things going on. We occasionally have to open at different times, but when we have the brisket foiled, you don't see too much of a drop in temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom