Baby Backs over a Brisket Flat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was my first rib cook on the WSM and I was very, very impressed with the ease of operation and the color of the finished product.

I used three different rubs. Wolfe Rub Original, Texas bbq rub and Caroline's Sweet Maple Rub.

All three were very good. I was suprised at how the color of the finished product was similar on all three. It was hard to tell one from the other. The flavor signatures stood out so I knew who's was who's.

I was very pleased with the taste of all three.

For sauce on the side, I went with Interstate BBQ, a Memphis Landmark. There sauce was very mild and let the full flavor of the rubs come thru. I really liked that.

Well I have often tried to splain to the warden how a person manages to get bbq sauce on the ceiling (sic) of the camper. Wimmen just dont understand the injecting deal is all I can figger. Then we wonder why the funeral folks wear the rubber apron and playtex gloves and stuff like that huh? It got to be messy I would think.

bigwheel

Beautiful bones Cliff, glad to hear they all turned out great!! How did the brisket turn out??

Fine looking ribs, Cliff. Tell the truth, LWO was the best rub, right? :D
I have a hard time getting past Wolf's and TXBBQ. Is Carolines up their also?

Oz said:
Fine looking ribs, Cliff. Tell the truth, LWO was the best rub, right? :D
I have a hard time getting past Wolf's and TXBBQ. Is Carolines up their also?

I thouht Caroline's was very good. Its smells great right out of the package. It Took a while to get from Canada but I liked it.

Larry Wolfe said:
Beautiful bones Cliff, glad to hear they all turned out great!! How did the brisket turn out??

Have a look:

Cooking the brisket under the ribs made the bark on the brisket soft right in the middle. Don't know about that one. I have not sliced it yet and I hope I didn't commit a fatal error. It was late and I didn't plan on the brisket cooking for 13 hrs. I wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge. I will figure out what to do with it when I get home from work tonight.

I might could use some help on that issue.

Slice cold ?
Put the whole thing in the oven for a while ?
Cut in quarters and bag and boil ?

ps: After 13 hours the wsm was still holding 250 with the vents 3/4 closed on a 3/4 ring of Kingsford.

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":uc69s6gt]Beautiful bones Cliff, glad to hear they all turned out great!! How did the brisket turn out??

Have a look:

Cooking the brisket under the ribs made the bark on the brisket soft right in the middle. Don't know about that one. I have not sliced it yet and I hope I didn't commit a fatal error. It was late and I didn't plan on the brisket cooking for 13 hrs. I wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge. I will figure out what to do with it when I get home from work tonight.

I might could use some help on that issue.

Slice cold ?
Put the whole thing in the oven for a while ?
Cut in quarters and bag and boil ?

ps: After 13 hours the wsm was still holding 250 with the vents 3/4 closed on a 3/4 ring of Kingsford.[/quote:uc69s6gt]

Looked great Cliff!
I think the soft spot in the bark was from the ribs dripping there and will be a mighty tasty treat!
I'd slice it cold and reheat in the oven, or nuke it slowly with broth or some other type of liquid on it.

Cliff I've done several briskets and let them sit overnight in the fridge overnight and sliced cold and reheated the next day. They were some of the best briskets I've made. The advantage of doing it this way is none of the juices pour out while you slice. Just slice the brisket, and add all the gelatin and dripping from the foil ontop of the slices and foil the pan and reheat at 300* until warm. All you want to do is warm it up, otherwise it'll turn into potroast if you overdo it. Good luck and greak looking brisket!!

Very good looking brisket ya got there Cliff. How was the center?
The ribs look awesome too. Here I am at 3am and now I am starving for some Q and there isn't any around. :P
Can ya hook a brutha up :?:

Injection?

Cliff,
Next time you inject, do so right through the packaging, then unwrap and rinse your meat. Saves you from a LOT of the mess thing!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Re: Injection?

kickassbbq said:
Cliff,
Next time you inject, do so right through the packaging, then unwrap and rinse your meat. Saves you from a LOT of the mess thing!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!
Great idea, thanks kickassbbq!

That's the way smoked food is supposed to look, if it looks good it's going to taste good. I too inject right through the package after cleaning up a couple of messes.

Back
Top Bottom