Arkansas Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have a brisket smoking right here in Arkansas. :LOL:

I was suprised to find a great looking 12 lb packer brisket at Walmart. It had a nice flexible feel when I gave it the bend test. Good thickness across the flat. The point was a bit small which was ok by me.

On at 11:00 last night. This is was my first overnighter on my drum smoker and I have to say that it has held temps better than my wsm.

It has held consistent 230-240 temps all night with no spikes. I am using the last of my Rancher which, since it burns hot anyway, really has impressed me. Drums are made for low and slow.

Proof is in the pic. ;)

wittdog said:
Go Cliff Go..

Hey Dave,
You are up early. :D

My brisket is at 170. I don't plan to foil so I am pulling it at 195, ready or not and letting it rest for a long time.

I have two choices. I can wrap it foil or I can go to the grocery store and try to find some HEAVY plastic wrap.

You think it really makes that much of a difference ?

If it is not saran wrap then what is it ?

From what I've seen I've only used the plastic film twice...yes is does make that much of a difference....Saran wrap it's thick enough...

wittdog said:
From what I've seen I've only used the plastic film twice...yes is does make that much of a difference....Saran wrap it's thick enough...

Daves right, especially for long holds. Plastic wrap will actually seal the meat, aluminum foil encloses it but doesn't seal it. Good looking brisket Cliff!

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

Daves right, especially for long holds. Plastic wrap will actually seal the meat, aluminum foil encloses it but doesn't seal it. Good looking brisket Cliff!

What will be the difference with the two techniques?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":q0kwwpto]
wittdog said:

What will be the difference with the two techniques?[/quote:q0kwwpto]
Nick when I've used foil there have been juice at the bottom of the foil..with the saran wrap...no juice in the bottom..it stays in the meat.

wittdog said:
Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":16e7gx4d]
wittdog said:

Nick when I've used foil there have been juice at the bottom of the foil..with the saran wrap...no juice in the bottom..it stays in the meat.[/quote:16e7gx4d]

That's interesting. Do you think it might be from the foil not clinging to the meat like the saran wrap does? I'd guess it could be from steaming in the foil a little, jus a guess though.

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":cgmfwe99][quote="Larry Wolfe":cgmfwe99]
wittdog said:

Nick when I've used foil there have been juice at the bottom of the foil..with the saran wrap...no juice in the bottom..it stays in the meat.[/quote:cgmfwe99]

That's interesting. Do you think it might be from the foil not clinging to the meat like the saran wrap does? I'd guess it could be from steaming in the foil a little, jus a guess though.[/quote:cgmfwe99]

Nick it's cause the plastic wrap "seals" the meat and the foil basically wraps the meat, but allows air and moisture to escape. Both will create problems with your bark either way, but worth it in the long run.

Cliff were did you come up with the plan are the how to for you drum smoker? Nice looking brisket I can't wait to see the end pictures.

Brisket did not turn out as good as I had hoped. I think I prefer foiled brisket over non foiled.

What I want is non foiled/wrapped bark with foiled tender internal meat. That is not to much to ask for is it ?

I did not turn the brisket or mop or anything. I didn't even raise the lid until it was time to take it off. The color was good. the bark was good. the flavor was good but the texture was a bit dry. I was warned about turning the meat when cooking uds style but I disregarded it as personal preference. I should have at least heeded that warning.

After the brisket was done I shook the ash down a bit and poured in a full chimney of unlit Rancher. That was just enough to get the chicken done.

Cliff I too prefer briskets that have been foiled. You sacrifice a little bark, but the meat is better at least in my opinion.

From the looks of the pic's it sure didn't look dry, looked very nice!

Yeah Cliff like Larry said, it didn't look to dry from the pictures. I catch the drippings when doing briskets and use it to make a gravy to pour over the slices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom