Anything Goes Category

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ones I've been to down here in SC, you have to feed the crowd if you compete in "Anything Butt".

At "Smoke on the Beach", we were told to make enough for 50 to 70 people (after the 7 judges portions). We handed out 68 samples after the judges left.

At the SC "Q" Cup, we were told to plan on 'samples' for at least 100 people. And, the judges were just in the crowd and would just show up whenever the got to you.

I know that the SC circuit isn't the typical, but that's were I've competed.

Believe me folks, when Hoss is turning in an anything butt its hard to compete. I have sampled most of those turn ins and they are fantastic. Great looking pics there Hoss.

I have tried different chili's. One thing that has helped is the presentation. At this contest the judging was done on site instead of turn ins. Here is a picture of my on site presentation, not of the chili.

We've had some success with coconut shrimp. In the past you could deep fry in KCBS competitions. Last year most contests we cooked allowed any cooking method, for any thing but, as long as it was cooked on an approved fuel. We cooked the shrimp once last season and it came in third which was the worst it has scored since I came up with the recipe. It is now retired.

Here is a picture from Jack Daniel's 2003 where we came in 2nd, with the same score as the winner (we lost on a tie breaker). It was open garnish.

http://www.lostnationvt.com/jack03_24.html

Rich

Rich Decker said:
... We cooked the shrimp once last season and it came in third which was the worst it has scored since I came up with the recipe. It is now retired.
Rich
Didn't I read in the "forum rules" that all retired recipes must be posted? :!:

The Joker said:
[quote="Rich Decker":eek:5ie29xl]... We cooked the shrimp once last season and it came in third which was the worst it has scored since I came up with the recipe. It is now retired.
Rich
Didn't I read in the "forum rules" that all retired recipes must be posted? :!:[/quote:eek:5ie29xl]

It's pretty easy. I buy the biggest raw, cleaned, frozen shrimp from Cosco they have.

We dust the shrimp in rub and Bisquick.

Next make a batter with Bisquick and beer to the consistency of wet pancake batter.

Dip the shrimp in the batter then coat with coconut and fry till they float for a few seconds and turn the pink/red color.

The best part of the recipe is the dipping sauce. It's a bottle of 'A taste of Tahi' brand sweet red chili sauce and 1-3 teaspoons (to taste) of orange marmalade.

Enjoy
Rich

Back
Top Bottom